• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Old Salvaged Yeast

RJsbrewhouse

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have some Londen Ale lll salvaged yeast from from March and second time use from June. Not having the ability to check viabilty, if I make a starter with either any thoughts if any good? I am not sure how long washed yeast will last in the frig at 40 F.

If you used it in June with good results after sitting since March, I see no reason why the harvest from June would be problematic.

Thank you for your reply. This is my first try at salvaging and washing yeast. Just not sure of the longevity of stored yeast.

Washing yeast serves no worthwhile purpose. It's homebrew lore. It replaces beer, which is a very good storage buffer that the yeast cells are adapted to, with water, which reduces shelf life of the yeast slurry. Pointless really. Save yourself the time and bother.

I'd recommend using the freshest slurry you have from June. Assess things in a starter and take it from there.

Back