Roggenbier and Weizenbock Extract Recipes?

zeropanic

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

I noticed on the Recipe Cloud there are not many Roggenbier and Weizenbock recipes which are extract based, does anyone have any recipe suggestions that I could try out?

Cheers,

Amos

Hi Zeropanic:

I asked a similar question about brewing a roggenbier using Northern Brewer's rye malt extract and got no response. The NB rye LME is only 30% rye and 70% barley, so it really would not work. I have not seen any other extracts out there that are pure rye, or a higher percentage.  Regarding use of NB's rye LME, I just posted by experience on this thread:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,8187.0.html

Briess Rye CBW contains a higher percentage of rye, something in the region of 55% as I understand it, so would be suited to a Roggenbier. Apparently, its quite a new addition to Briess' extract line and I have finally found a supplier in the UK, so I'll let you know how I get on with it :)

I have a Dunkel Weizenbock that has won some awards. It is a partial mash, but you are more then welcome to it. Just let me know how it came out for you. Cheers!

Attachments

If you did a partial mash with rye malt, that would boost the rye flavors in the extract.  Two pounds steeped/soaked/mashed at 155F in a nylon mesh grain bag would do the trick. 

Given the difficulty of lautering >50% rye, that's probably how I would attempt one too. 

Back