• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Venting...

tom_hampton

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Ugh. I should have known better.  A friend of my sister is holding a Belgian beer tasting for 6 couples, who paid $140 pr couple in a silent auction.  She asked if I would participate and contribute a Belgian style beer, and maybe talk about the brewing processes that make belgian beers unique. Sounds fun enough. 

My sister sent me a copy of the beer menu.  Of the eight beers bring served, one is Stella, and another is listed as "framboise (kriek)" Lindemans.  Also, only 3 of the 8 are actually made in Belgium, and only 1 is trappist. 

I made some rather classic recommendations to exchange these with real belgian beers that represent the styles. Basically, i just took the first beer from the commercial examples lists from bjcp, while making sure not to double up on a single brewery.  In particular, I suggested that the Lindemans was a very poor example of the fruit lambic style and recommended several cantillion options.

Apparently this lady's reaction was, "well, it sounds like your brother just likes dark beer."

Seriously? Should I point out that framboise and kriek are two DIFFERENT beers?

Bite my tongue, bite my tongue. 

In

I would suggest letting them use the beer selections as is, and gather information and history on all of the 8 beers and provide knowledge about each of them.  This way, you get to educate them on many different styles.

At the same time you'll be showing them that you have knowledge of and appreciate all beer styles, not just dark ones.

Scott Ickes said:
I would suggest letting them use the beer selections as is, and gather information and history on all of the 8 beers and provide knowledge about each of them.  This way, you get to educate them on many different styles.
At the same time you'll be showing them that you have knowledge of and appreciate all beer styles, not just dark ones.

Sounds like a good approach Scott!

@Tom    At least this lady understands to things that might give hope:
            - there are several styles of beer
            - Belgium produces unique beers

And here I thought this post was going to start with something like "Should I use a squirrel cage blower or a blade type fan for the range hood above my brew setup?" (venting) :)

Best of luck with your endeavor...and a big +1 for Scott's advise.

So how much are you getting paid?  (Don't actually tell us, but it should be significant) Holy crap on the price for the tasting! 

If you are being asked as an "expert", then she should listen to your advice.

Well Tom, I can completely understand. For many, a "tasting" isn't about being challenged, it's about being social. Forget ale vs. lager, their world divides into light vs. dark. Even then, it depends on their definition of "light."

Go with the knowledge that you'll have a great beer when you get back home.

This is the tipping point to becoming a beer snob.  I have been to the edge and back again.  I have looked down upon the beer drinking masses.  I have seen their willingness to gulp swill.  I have heard their cries about the mountains not being blue.  I have seen them ask for "any beer", their exclamation of the two beer types "Dark and Light".  All the while I cast down upon them my contempt and recoiled in disgust from their ignorance.  I don't however let it show. 

When asked to help with beer selection or to have a chat about beer making and styles, I simply go withe the audience.  Of course, I take some time to educate on the sensory experience in beer sampling, the ingredients and how they impart layers of flavors and I impart some of the passion we brewers feel about our artisan craft.  Rarely anymore do I have to tie up a room full of these fools and whip then until they can explain hot side aeration.

I envy you, at least you don't get "do you ake any beer that tastes like wine?" Instead of getting frrustrated, I just drink...Makes me smile more.

The event went fine.  The people were nice, and had good beer sense.  The tasting order was strange: the Stella was place mid-flight as a "break" . It didn't hold up well to the beers that preceeded it.

The framboise was served with desert.  That also didn't go well, everyone complained about too much sweet and nothing to compliment it.

But, it was an enjoyable experience. . I brought my own orval clone and we did a blind tasting side by side with the real thing. Everyone chose the homebrew over the real thing, and selected it as best of the night. Then we revealed that it was mine. That was very satisfying.

Tom

Welcome back!!!  We've missed you. I'm glad it went well.

I had a somewhat similar experience. My nephew had some of his Friends over a few months back and held some blind tastings of some commercial craft beers. The last two beers were compared side by side (ESB's). What I didn't know was he had paired my home brewed ESB against a commercial version. Mine was preferred 9 to 1 in the blind tasting.

It made me feel pretty darned good about my brewing.

I never really went anywhere. I've been lurking. I catch up infrequently, but haven't had the time to sit down and actually post anything.

I've been to new Zealand three times this year, and go back again in January for another month.  That interferes with life and generally posting on forums. But, I'm always "around" .

Plus, every spare moment I have had has been focused on getting my racing licence in spec miata. My other big hobby. :D

tom_hampton said:
Plus, every spare moment I have had has been focused on getting my racing licence in spec miata. My other big hobby. :D

I think I need to come your way to see a race or two. I'm sure there's a business reason I can conjure up! :D

Back