• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

still buying commercials?

SOGOAK

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'd assume youz guyz (you all or Y'all) still do.  I have a glut of dark beer (poor me) and have been buying some commercials, predominently high ABV pales.  I hate dropping $4 on a 22oz when a pack of designer yeast is only $8, and cash is tight, but I think it is still good because it give you idea of what you want to try next.

Example. A guy in my brew club brought in some nice RyePA and I loved it.  Then my bro-in-law had some Brother Thelonious which is like a Belgian Trippel Rye PA.  Finally I had a bottle of Hebrew "Lenies RIPA"  (which requires a designated driver WOW!) and now I think I'm going to try to make one, maybe 2-3 batches down the road.

Funny how you think "I make this kind of beer and will be totally satisfied with it forever."  Only to try someone elses and want to venture out.

So what does everyone suppliment their own brew with?

SOGOAK said:
So what does everyone suppliment their own brew with?

More Refrigerators! Seriously I could use more refrigerators!

I like to buy a variety of different things for what ever I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I don't want something heavy and sometimes I do. Lately I have been on a DogFishHead kick... That 90 Min is really good! I usually have about 20-30 different beers in the fridge other than the HB. I rarely ever put a 6er in there, usually one or two at a time to keep the variety up. I think my neighbors think I am a lush or something. But I usually only have a few beers maybe twice a week. So the stockpile gets bigger as I brew, and that's not a bad thing!

Cheers
Preston

Living next to Preston is sounding better an better! ;D

I know the feeling, I'm one of a handful of non-archconservative religous folks on my block.  I always wince when I put out the recyling on a cool crisp night and the beer and wine bottles clink.  At least I recover all brown recappable long necks!  That has made a huge difference in the volume.

BAAHH! Experience tells me they all drink inside on the down low while I'm wandering around my yard with a homebrew. 

I'm jonesing for variety now.  I am really trying to be frugal for a few more weeks.  Luckily, I have my brew club tomorrow.  So I can try some new stuff.

Well I'm still building up both my brewing skills - my recipe tweaks - and of course a few good batches in the fridge (in the garage). But I starting to buy beer off the shelf for two reasons:
- Its something I may want to brew so I need to sample it (many times)
- Or its something I like but may never brew because its too complicated or complex

I definitely like to try good examples of a style I've not had before.  It's funny, though, to see people long for the one beer they cannot get.  Forever, that was Stone here, and then we got it recently, and almost immediately people started wondering when we'd get Lagunitas or (fill in the blank). 

I will blame my 2 aspiring assitant brewers bro-in-laws for turning me onto belgians.  Faves are la fin du monde and brother thelonius.  I have tried a bunch and like the trippel brown style or the farm house (very vague parameters) the best.  I was happy to learn those nice 750ml bottles could easily be reused with plastic stoppers and wire cages.

Man --- I just cannot get into belgian beer styles Lambics - Tripples - etc.  But more power to you SOGOAK !

Now I am impressed by some of New Belgian Brews in Colorado (how ironic):
- Mighty Arrow
- 1554 Enlightened  Dark
- Fat Tire

I understand that you can still buy BFD1 199. and the upgrade to 2 will cost 199. making the total  the same as BFD2 complete. 399.
So are the samples in BFD1 worth having still, complimenting BFD2?

Kamntili73 said:
I understand that you can still buy BFD1 199. and the upgrade to 2 will cost 199. making the total  the same as BFD2 complete. 399.
So are the samples in BFD1 worth having still, complimenting BFD2?
Lost Me!
What is BFD1/2/3?

Just cant put the acronym together.

Cheers
Preston

I agree that buying commercial beer (and by that I mean micro-brews - craft beers) is a great way to find new beers you may want to try and brew.

A recent one for me is  Hazed and Infused    by Boulder Beer Company.  This is a dry hopped ale that is malty and hoppy but balanced as its not bitter or sharp. And they do list the ingredients on their web site - enjoy

Back