Author Topic: Lactose addition?  (Read 5480 times)

DesMoinesBrewer

Lactose addition?
« on: October 22, 2004, 04:10:13 AM »
Still looking for some help on Lactose...brewing tomorrow so I could use some sage advice  ;)

When is the best time to add? Beginning, middle, or end of boil?  Brewing a sweet stout (see recipe listed under my unregistered name, "Brian Thomas")

Thanks much!

-Brian

Shakey_Dog

Re: Lactose addition?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 06:37:41 AM »
Brian,

I have never used lactose but from what I have read it is like most powder adjucts, so at the end should be fine.  But, I would not think that it really matters to much.

Don

SAHomeBrew

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 09:31:15 AM »
I have a kolsh recipe that has a maltose addition and I just add it about the last 5 minutes of the boil, as long as it disolves, it really doesn't matter too much, it's just a sugar addition and doesn't do anything for flavor, just sweetness and body. The last 5 minutes or so should be fine, just be careful it doesn't go to the botom and burn. When I add the maltose, I just gently stir it in so it does sink and burn on the bottom.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 09:39:26 AM by SAHomeBrew »

DesMoinesBrewer

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 09:54:44 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I ended up adding in the last 15 minutes of the boil...just to makes sure it was sterilized.

It is the first time I've brewed a Sweet Stout.  I'll let you know how the recipe turns out as I really have no idea how this one is going to taste  ;D

Oh, and here is the recipe in a nutshell...

14.5#UK Pale Malt
2# Carafa II
1# Cara-Pils
1# Crystal 80
1# Flaked Oats
.75# Flaked Wheat
.5# Roasted Barley
2# Milk Sugar
2 oz. Northern Brewer for 60 min
1 oz. Fuggles for 15 min

Single step infustion mash at 154, 60 mins.

Offline gregarpp

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 06:50:42 AM »
I have also added lactos and Dextrin while I bottled the brew.

Just pre-boil with your priming sugar.

modification