• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith, Dropbox, Auto Save, and lost work

R. Gibson

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Brad,

I need a way to turn off the auto-save feature in Beersmith. I am trying to use Beersmith between two computers (desktop and laptop) with Dropbox, and somehow, even though I'm not trying to run them simultaneously, one is overwriting the other, even when NO CHANGES have taken place. Just the simple fact that I opened and closed Beersmith on the second computer just wiped out all of my changes on the first computer!!  :mad:  :-[

Also, why are there so many files in the Recipe folder? "Recepe1," "Recepe2," "Recepe3," and "Recepe4," etc...? Which one contains the actual recipe's!!? Why is there more than one?! Isn't there some way to just have one master database? Dropbox lets me revert to older versions of files, which COULD possibly allow me to recover my lost updates...but I've gone through as many of them as look obvious by the file name and reverted them, but the changes still won't come back! It seems like I should be able to just revert a single "Recipe" file, and have everything right as rain!

When I was using ProMash I had individual files for each recipe and session that I could keep track of. I would much rather have that, than a directory full of un-readable database files and no way to know which one contains what!

There is no auto-save feature in Beersmith, unfortunately. I just lost 2 hours worth of work because of that fact. Why? No clue. It's really something that should be a part of any program these days.

Regarding your issue with Dropbox, I have the exact same issue. I've tried Dropbox and Google Drive. Both fail to use the same database without overwriting (actually, creating new) files. Your Recipe1, Recipe2 Recipe3, etc. are being created by Beersmith because you're using Dropbox as your recipe folder. If you used the directory Beersmith uses by default, you'll find that you only have 1 copy of your files.

I've spent hours trying to get Beersmith to play nicely with Dropbox or Google Drive. My findings have been that it will not.

If I remember correctly, the 1-2-3-4-5 files are automatic backups Created by BeerSmith. Your main file has no number on it.

Back