• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Who makes good custom beer labels?

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have designs ready to go to print but am having a heck of a time finding someone to print them up. Who do you use for printing your custom beer labels?

I print mine on a laser printer and use milk to adhere them to the bottle. 

Any particular type of paper? And how well do they stick to the bottle with just milk? I was actually thinking Elmer's might work as well? Thin it out and put it in a spray bottle...

Nope, just plain old copier paper. The milk works amazingly well. Try it.

If opting to print labels for wine bottles I use Avery 5168 with a Epson Style Pro 3880 and it works very well...although the printer and labels are already here for other purposes. Avery has smaller labels and must have a few of similar quality suitable for beer bottles. Being able to see the results before committing large numbers is a benefit if you are planning to do it regularly. The cost really depends on quantity, desired quality and the equipment you have available. Knowing the limitations and color capabilities of your printer helps enormously in creating designs that work. I also have Avery round craft brown labels (22808) for cheese that would work well for beer and could make a classic label with a BW laser printer; although in thinking about it, it would be expensive as a standard (I mark the shelves and only occasionally the bottles).   

I found some pre-gummed label-making paper at my LHBS the other day - 1 pack contains eighteen 8 1/2 x 11 sheets for around $6. Just format your design to fit as many labels on one sheet (based on desired label size, of course) and slip these sheets into the printer and let 'er rip. Cut, moisten, and slap onto your bottles. Says they're laser safe and easily removed, and comes in different colors!

Back