• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile for British ESBs/Pale Ales

hennesse

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've started brewing some English-style ESB / Pale Ales.  For instance, one of BeerSmith's recipes - http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/625/british-pale

I think my beers could benefit from more English-style water.  BeerSmith's water profiles only include Burton (really, really hard) and London (mildly hard, but really salty).

Can anyone suggest a water profile that would be best suited for an English ESB/Pale Ale like the above recipe?

Thanks,
Dave

I know this post is long dead but I thought I'd stick my two penneth in.

Burton has a long history with beer. It also has a long history with pale ales; with variations on the style dating back to the 18th century. It's not a coincidence that many breweries around this time set up shop in and around Burton. I'd suggest that many commercial and most home-brewers 'Burtonise' their water in order to get the same profile that these breweries were able to take directly out of the Trent.

To surmise; for an English beer, particularly a pale ale, the industry standard would seem to be Burton water.

Good Afternoon !

I'm trying to improve the water profiles we use (specifically for an ESB we're brewing on Saturday) but wonder if the regional profiles in BS reflect current use by breweries in the area.  Trent water must be highly modified from "river water". 

Check out my post earlier this morning far a specific example of the differences between BS water profile data and that reported by the Deer Park.

Don Pippins     

Back