Author Topic: Fly sparging - Mash profile question  (Read 4324 times)

schmitage

Fly sparging - Mash profile question
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:14:01 AM »
I've searched around and can't find an answer to this.  I have the pgrm setup for a 11gal batch.  I do fly sparging.  I cannot for the life of me get this thing to calculate correctly when choosing Single Infusion, Medium Body.  It does my strike water correctly, but then says mashout w/ 14qt of 168 water.  I usually go through almost 40quarts when sparging an 11gal batch.  

I just don't get it.  Mashin: 25qt.  Mashout 14qt.  Batch size 11gal (44qt), boil volume: 13.25gal.  The program is not functioning correctly or something, no idea.  I double checked everything and everything seems to be entered correctly... i'm lost.

Thanks for any help.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 11:15:51 AM by schmitage »

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Fly sparging - Mash profile question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 04:39:05 PM »
Did you take a look at the brewsheet?  If you are using the regular "Single infusion" profiles, they have both a mashout step and also a step to sparge the remaining water.

Also, if you have not done so you should make sure your equipment settings are correct.  This link should help:

http://www.beersmith.com/equipment_setup.htm

Please feel free to post again if you have additional questions.  Also, emailing the recipe to me can help since I can sometimes find the culprit.

Thanks!
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

schmitage

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 05:01:34 PM »
Ya, on the brewsheet it shows to sparge w/ 9+ gallons.  But on the mash profile, it doesn't.   I don't get it...

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 06:12:57 PM »
The brewsheet shows all steps including the sparge step.  The mash profile shows only steps in the mash, which for the standard profiles includes a mash out step to raise the temperature of the mash (if there is one)

I recommend using the brewsheet as a guideline when brewing since it includes all of the data you need to brew.

Cheers!
Brad
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:13:13 PM by admin »
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

modification