• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add liquid calcium chloride

enkamania

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Greetings,

I know use liquid calcium chloride and would love to have the functionality to calculate its effect on water like dry calcium chloride.

Thanks

I'm curious what the solution you're using is.

I actually buy dry CaCl for my aquarium because its drastically cheaper than liquid in multiple ways. 2.5 cups dry CaCl in a gallon of water costs me like 5.50 and a gallon of equivalent CaCl liquid solution costs 15+ and the additional shipping fees of shipping 8lbs of water.

dtapke said:
I'm curious what the solution you're using is.

I actually buy dry CaCl for my aquarium because its drastically cheaper than liquid in multiple ways. 2.5 cups dry CaCl in a gallon of water costs me like 5.50 and a gallon of equivalent CaCl liquid solution costs 15+ and the additional shipping fees of shipping 8lbs of water.

I buy the dry stuff too, but make a liquid solution from it. In Bru'n Water, it has an option for liquid. 

I must be missing where that addition is. I see the allowance of an addition based on grams/gal but no addition for a liquid.

As a "work around" you could build a water profile with the concentration of CaCl you use and use it as a dilution water addition, something perhaps like this-

EDIT- I have to admit I used bru'n water briefly and found it to be a bit of a pita, and stopped using it.

Attachments

• cacl water.JPG
    cacl water.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 384
There is a select option at the end of the row type form of CaCl.  Maybe you have the free version?  Not sure if that has the liquid option or not.

I do have the free version, never liked it enough to pay. I'm curious, how do you input the liquid, considering liquid CaCl could vary in concentration.

Also, why would you use liquid as opposed to just adding the dry CaCl to your water? I'm curious of the benefits.

It calculates a strength % using the specific gravity.  The strength remains constant.  With dry, it' not really dry as it picks up moisture, so it's hard to tell how much is water you have when you're weighing it.

Fascinating, I'll have to check weights on some of my CaCl maybe check weight dry, then leave it in an open container for a few months and see how much water weight it picks up.

I keep mine in mason jars with desiccant packs, so shouldn't be an issue...

Back