• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding frozen peaches to secondary...need advice

Do an iodine test then. For sh*ts and giggles. Might save you some time.

Just remember to remove your sample and don't mix it back in.

I just did one at 1.5 hours of mash time.  The color disappeared.  I guess I'm fully converted.  I'm still going to let it go the last half hour.  I've read that a long mash will assure that all long chain starches are broken down into the most fermentable wort.  Since this is a Saison base, I want this one to dry out as much as possible.

My mash temp is down to 140F.  It would probably be much lower without the sleeping bag.

Scott Ickes said:
I'm reluctant to add fruit to the primary, before there is enough alcohol to inhibit bacteria.  I'd rather put it in the secondary when I have about 6% alcohol.

I've done a few batches of an Apple Ale, adding between 6 and 12 lbs sliced apple to primary before fermentation begins.  6 is enough.  It's turned out awesome every time.  I've played with the ratio of sour/sweet apples and the difference is quite noticeable.  2/3 sour to 1/3 sweet is a good spot.  Initially I had planned on getting them in secondary, but man slicing apples small enough to fit into a carboy is not something I want to spend my time doing :)

Anyhoo, I brewed a wheat ale yesterday that I'm going to add frozen berries to in secondary.  I'm thinking 5 lbs for 5 gallons, quickly tossed in the blender to break up the skins, maybe with tablets if I get to my LHBS, maybe not.  I was hoping for blackberries to replicate the soon-to-be-retired Blackbeary Wheat from Long Trail, but blackberries are hard to find.  So I went with the mixed berries which are blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry.  I did a 10 gallon batch so the other 5 gallons will go in the direction of a shandy although not overboard with the lemon.  I'm thinking a mix of lemon juice and Crystal Light powder with about a half gallon of water added at kegging.  Any thoughts/suggestions are warmly welcomed.

When you get back you should try the bridgeport stumptown. Its brewed wirh blueberries and cranberries

I just might try it.  I have 4 pounds of blueberries for this batch.  I'm thinking of getting 4 more pounds.  Since fruit flavors diminish over time, I think 4 pounds won't be enough.

I've read that a long mash will assure that all long chain starches are broken down into the most fermentable wort.

The iodine reacts to starch.  I spread a spoon of mash liquid on a white saucer and drip a drop or two iodophor on it. The way I get it in there is by dipping my trusty thermometer in the iodophor, which I can also use to spread it around a bit like a starfish.  If it turns black then I know there's starch there. Doesn't mean I stop the mash. Just confirms that there's no starch.  There could still be lots of long chain sugars still in there being worked on by the enzymes. Chains that are too big for the yeast to eat give a beer body. Longer mashes at lower mash temperatures result in a thinner beer. Mashing out locks in whatever long chain sugars are in there by denaturing all the enzymes.  That's yet another thing to like about all grain brewing. You can make a thin beer with a long mash in the 140s, a big-bodied beer with a mash in the 150s that's mashed out as soon as it passes an iodine test, and anything in between. 

Had a peach lambic once. That was intense.  I'll leave making that to the experts.

I was hoping for blackberries to replicate the soon-to-be-retired Blackbeary Wheat from Long Trail,

Drag. That's a good beer. Their Double Bag is dangerous.

but blackberries are hard to find.

Did you check Walmart?  I've got a coworker who buys them all the time for breakfast cereal and stuff. I was given frozen blackberries from a family member to make wine, but it was only enough for three gallons. I used frozen blackberries from Walmart to beef it up to five. No preservatives either.

Scott, did an ESB with fresh blueberries...A word of advice. Blueberries don't give off much flavor, so whatever you think would be a good amount, add half again as much to get the flavor. I put 6 lbs of fresh picked and pasturized in mine. It had a wonderful aroma, and the head was bluish purple, but very little blueberry flavor came through. But then again, mine were fresh not frozen, so you may get more out of yours.

Maine Homebrewer said:
Did you check Walmart?  I've got a coworker who buys them all the time for breakfast cereal and stuff. I was given frozen blackberries from a family member to make wine, but it was only enough for three gallons. I used frozen blackberries from Walmart to beef it up to five. No preservatives either.

Good heads up Mainer, thanks!

I ended up using 6 pounds of frozen blueberries. My OG was 1.054. I checked the gravity when I racked it onto the blueberries. It was down to 1.000! 

My mash temp target was 148F. It was at 144F after the 2 hour mash. This is the lowest mash temp I've ever used. I learned a lot about mash temp and ferment ability.

I didn't detect any off flavors. Just the spiciness of the Belgian Saison yeast. A nice dry beer!

Back