• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting sparge additions for HERMS system

Lennyu

Apprentice
Reaction score
I’m using a 15 gallon Spike Trio system. My HLT volume is significantly more than what I need to sparge with in order to cover the recirc coils. I’ve not done any salt/acid additions but plan on starting. In BS3 I do not see how/where to adjust my “sparge” volume to take into account the actual amount of water in my HLT, typically I feel it to 12 or 13 gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lenny

What method of sparging are you using? I'm guessing fly sparging but I suppose you could be doing a batch sparge. For fly sparging I don't worry about sparge volumes. I just sparge until I have the desired boil volume in the boil kettle.

I also do fly sparging and also do the same. But, my question is how to update the volume in the Water/Mash sections to add the appropriate Salts and Acid. The volume that displays is just the calculated amount by BeerSmith.

I also do fly sparging and also do the same. But, my question is how to update the volume in the Water/Mash sections to add the appropriate Salts and Acid. The volume that displays is just the calculated amount by BeerSmith.
From the recipe design page, you can set the volume of water when you add it, look for the small box at the bottom of the popup window. From the water page, you can adjust the volume at the top as well.

Currently, the program uses the water needed for mash and sparge to calculate the mineral salt additions. There is no way within the recipe to change the amount of water prepared vs the water used. You can use the independent water tool to calculate out the correct mineral salt additions and then add those salts into the recipe manually.

Currently, the program uses the water needed for mash and sparge to calculate the mineral salt additions. There is no way within the recipe to change the amount of water prepared vs the water used. You can use the independent water tool to calculate out the correct mineral salt additions and then add those salts into the recipe manually.
Thanks. That’s what I thought and appreciate the conformation. I might just choose to add to boil and then worry about mash pH only.

You can do it automatically. Target the water profile using the water tool. Save the salts with the water profile. When you import the water to the recipe it will allow you to bring in the salts and adjust the salts based on the amount you import. If you need to adjust it in the recipe - delete the water and salts. Re-import with the correct amount of water and it will bring in the right amount of salts.

I also have a HERMs set-up. I multiple the sparge salts by 1.4 and manually adjust each recipe. I asked the question previously and if I remember correctly BS does not have a method to account for this. I have not had any issues with my OGs or off-flavors.

I also have a HERMs set-up. I multiple the sparge salts by 1.4 and manually adjust each recipe. I asked the question previously and if I remember correctly BS does not have a method to account for this. I have not had any issues with my OGs or off-flavors.
Thanks. At this point I am just adding to the boil.

Back