Anyone? How to use/prepare my current yeast cake for a next batch?

Slurk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a pils in the primary at the moment and would like to use the yeast cake (yeast culture WLP 838 - South German Lager) for a next batch. How to proceed?

Regards,
Slurk

I jusst pour my next batch on top of it, right after I move the prev beer to secondary.

This works great unless you're going from a hoppy beer to something subtle. I often wash yeast if going from an IPA to a different style otherwise you can transfer some bitterness.

Thanks bigchicken!
Yesterday I washed the yeast cake 3 times. This morning I made a yeast starter of it. Now I am on my way home and rather exited to see if things are working well. I need the starter tomorrow. Brew day :)
Regards,
Slurk

Everything went well on Friday, the yeast starter worked excellent. When the starter was inactive and gravity low, I washed the starter and made a new starter on Friday evening. Compared to Thursday the amount of yeast had doubled. Unfortunately I had to postpone brewday by one day and decided to go for an experiment. When the yeast starter was inactive and gravity low, I washed the starter again and made a new yeast starter. Today was brew day and I was amazed by the amount of yeast activity and overall development of yeast in the yeast starter. Compared to Thursday (my start date) I now had 3.5 to 4 times more yeast.
I pitched for 1.5 hours ago, areated thoroughly and I am really surprised by the fact that the fermentation is so active at the moment ???

R,
Slurk

Back