• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer Smith for Linux?

t2000kw

Brewer
Reaction score
Just a thought, but have you considered a version for Linux?

I think that Beer Smith would run under Wine or Crossover Office for Linux, but it would be nice to have a native version.

Donald

BeerSmith 2.0 could (at least in theory) be cross compiled for native Linux builds as it is built on wxWidgets.  I did some cross compilation on Linux early on and it worked OK, but for the moment I'm trying to get the Mac/PC versions completed. 

I will look at revisiting it once I have the PC and Mac versions released.

Brad

I use ProMash on Ubuntu with Wine. It works great. I'll be evaluating BeerSmith on Wine soon.

BeerSmith does work under Wine - I think there are some posts here on it and also in the FAQ.

Brad

I would also like to see a version for linux. it works fine under wine, except printing (ie install issues). easy enough to export to html and then print though, so not that big of a deal...great work! i've tried alot of others, and always end up using beersmith. thanks!

I finally tried it under Wine. Got it to crash pretty easily, but I couldn't replicate the crash.

I think I'm going to like BeerSmith once I get used to it.

While it's always nice to have a native application, BeerSmith 1.4 runs so smoothly under Ubuntu 10.04, with WINE, that I'd almost say there's no need for it.

I do say almost as you cannot directly print from it unless you also install ie4linux, which seems to be a deprecated program, and may not run properly under future versions of linux. You can do a workaround by exporting, and then printing it that way, but it's somewhat of a pain to have umpteen million files in a directory, rather than one .pdf file to print, or being able to print directly.

As for the crashing? One thing I've noticed is that if you try and rename a recipe it will crash. It allowed me to duplicate the recipe and then rename the other one, so that may have had something to do with file handling issues. There have also been other crashes, mostly dealing with additions of new ingredients.

Robert

robertjm said:
While it's always nice to have a native application, BeerSmith 1.4 runs so smoothly under Ubuntu 10.04, with WINE, that I'd almost say there's no need for it.

I do say almost as you cannot directly print from it unless you also install ie4linux, which seems to be a deprecated program, and may not run properly under future versions of linux. You can do a workaround by exporting, and then printing it that way, but it's somewhat of a pain to have umpteen million files in a directory, rather than one .pdf file to print, or being able to print directly.

As for the crashing? One thing I've noticed is that if you try and rename a recipe it will crash. It allowed me to duplicate the recipe and then rename the other one, so that may have had something to do with file handling issues. There have also been other crashes, mostly dealing with additions of new ingredients.

Robert

For me, Beersmith (under WINE) on Fedora 14 crashes upon start up. I had it running in older versions of Fedora but it wasn't stable enough for me to bother using.

I would definitely buy a native Linux Beersmith port. Hopefully there is enough of us to make it worth the effort.

Chris

CHRIS: Which version of WINE are you running with Fedora 14? I'm running 1.3something but cannot remember what it is off the top of my head. Also, I might even be running their PPA which updates fairly often.

While it doesn't crash on me I have not been able to print directly and have to do an export to html and then bring that up in a browser to print. Annoying...Yes, but not enough to make me want to fire up my Windows partition since there's an easy workaround.

Robert

robertjm said:
CHRIS: Which version of WINE are you running with Fedora 14? I'm running 1.3something but cannot remember what it is off the top of my head. Also, I might even be running their PPA which updates fairly often.

While it doesn't crash on me I have not been able to print directly and have to do an export to html and then bring that up in a browser to print. Annoying...Yes, but not enough to make me want to fire up my Windows partition since there's an easy workaround.

Robert

I'm running 1.3.10.

Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot-Program Error.png
    Screenshot-Program Error.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 422
Back