• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 3.2.7 and MacOS: Slow; Awful colours; Changes stuff randomly

docholiday

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been putting off upgrading to Beersmith v3 from my old v2 license for years. Why? Because v3 has never performed perticularly well on MacOS, where v2 was stellar - Until Big Sur made it impossible to run v2.

So I've plodded along on Windows with v2, but now that meaningful support for it has gone to the farm with old Fido, my hand was forced to pay for the upgrade.

And I am regretting forking out the money.

See, I use a Dark theme on my MacBook. Beersmith 3 has absolutely no idea what to do with that. I'm presented with what could only be described as a colour scheme picked randomly from a hat.

Secondly, each click takes 3 to 5 seconds to register with the program. When I'm done editing a recipe, suddenly Beersmith 3 decides that my boil volume is 2800 Litres instead of 28. My brewhouse efficiency shot up to 8008% apparently. This is brewing, not crypto currency you guys - We don't work with gains here. I close the app, relaunch and carry on until the next glitch which is mere minutes away.

Now considering that I do not live in the USA, I do not earn in USD, the payment for this software equates to a week's worth of food shopping here in South Africa. It was not an easy choice to spend the money when it's 25% of your monthly food bill only to be left stuck with software that is utterly useless.

I paid for the Android app some 2 years ago. That was also a wasted expense: The software is sluggish, incomplete and extremely unfriendly to navigate.

I have the tiniest glimmer of hope still that, someday in the future, a stable and functional version for MacOS might become a reality. However after so many years, it still stinks to high heavens and subsequently my hope is fading rapidly.

Attachments

• bs3_1.jpg
    bs3_1.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 0
  • bs3_2.jpg
    bs3_2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
Try running in light mode - there are issues with Mac in dark mode due to the libraries I'm using.

If you want a refund I'm happy to provide one.

I've been putting off upgrading to Beersmith v3 from my old v2 license for years. Why? Because v3 has never performed perticularly well on MacOS, where v2 was stellar - Until Big Sur made it impossible to run v2.

So I've plodded along on Windows with v2, but now that meaningful support for it has gone to the farm with old Fido, my hand was forced to pay for the upgrade.

See, I use a Dark theme on my MacBook. Beersmith 3 has absolutely no idea what to do with that. I'm presented with what could only be described as a colour scheme picked randomly from a hat.

Secondly, each click takes 3 to 5 seconds to register with the program. When I'm done editing a recipe, suddenly Beersmith 3 decides that my boil volume is 2800 Litres instead of 28. My brewhouse efficiency shot up to 8008% apparently. This is brewing, not crypto currency you guys - We don't work with gains here. I close the app, relaunch and carry on until the next glitch which is mere minutes away.

Now considering that I do not live in the USA, I do not earn in USD, the payment for this software equates to a week's worth of food shopping here in South Africa. It was not an easy choice to spend the money when it's 25% of your monthly food bill only to be left stuck with software that is utterly useless.

I paid for the Android app some 2 years ago. That was also a wasted expense: The software is sluggish, incomplete and extremely unfriendly to navigate.

I have the tiniest glimmer of hope still that, someday in the future, a stable and functional version Alight motion for MacOS might become a reality. However after so many years, it still stinks to high heavens and subsequently my hope is fading rapidly.
  • Check your system resources: Make sure your Mac has enough RAM and CPU power to run BeerSmith smoothly. Close any unnecessary applications that might be consuming resources.
  • Update BeerSmith: Sometimes, performance improvements and bug fixes are included in updates. Make sure you have the latest version installed.
  • Contact BeerSmith Support: If performance issues persist, reaching out to BeerSmith's support team might provide insights or solutions tailored to your specific problem.

I'm also working on a major rework of the Mac version that plugs all of the memory leaks, will run Native on the Mac M2 architecture and also fixes the Dark mode problem. Unfortunately to fix all of these issues, a fairly major change to the code base was required.

I have the tiniest glimmer of hope still that, someday in the future, a stable and functional version for MacOS might become a reality. However after so many years, it still stinks to high heavens and subsequently my hope is fading rapidly los angeles porta potty rental.
  1. Check System Requirements: Ensure that your Mac meets the minimum system requirements for running BeerSmith 3. Verify that your macOS version is compatible with the software.
  2. Update BeerSmith: Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith installed. Check for updates through the BeerSmith website or the Mac App Store, and install any available updates.
  3. Restart BeerSmith: Sometimes, simply restarting the application can resolve temporary issues. Quit BeerSmith completely and then relaunch it to see if the problems persist.

Good God! Now the AI/bot responses are copying and pasting each other.

Back