• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil volume not changing when boil length changed.

Update coming shortly - I'm doing test cases today and will have it to you by the end of the week.

It will be selectable - default will be boil volume/hour but you can make it fixed volume if you prefer.

Brad

I don’t understand the change or the controversy.  Boil-off volume vs. rate does not matter.  The problem is that the “Boil Time” field does not work on the main recipe “design” page, and I ended up with an extra ~gal. of pre-boil volume and my mash target temp wrong.  Changing 90 to 60 should have resulted in a reduced pre-boil volume.  I have downloaded the latest version, but if the field doesn’t work, it should be grayed out (no?), and some hover-note saying you have to go change the value in the Equipment settings.  But why not just fix the field?

So the argument that the change was made so that people wouldn’t have to do that – go into their Equipment settings to make changes – is killing me, because that’s exactly what I have to do now in 2.0.  I’m totally missing something.  (Not unusual.)

Maybe context will help.  I have an electric stove, and with 5gal AG batches I can’t get a rolling boil with ~8gal of wort.  If I change the recipe to 60min boil, I can just get that volume rolling.  But if I want to do a 3gal batch for 90min, I should just be able to change the recipe page – not my equipment profile – nothing has changed in my equipment.  To me it just seems like the one field is “broke” from what worked perfect before.

Also – for posterity – if you do go change your Equipment profile settings, be sure to hit [OK] to properly save the change, but you also have to know to go into your old recipes and re-establish the link to that Equipment profile to receive the updated values.  Also-also – if you already have a tab open with a report, you have to close that and re-draw the report to get the updated values.  Some people may be tripping up on those points too, as I did.

But – if you do change your Equipment profile – you risk screwing up all your recipes because that new 60min vs. 90 value could propagate to them all and screw up irretrievably all the exacting volumes you worked on.

I’m at a total loss.

@&#*$# - I take it back.  I am not able to recreate the error.  I’ve closed BeerSmith and reopened, and now changing the “Boil Time” field works fine, as far as updating the lower page 1 report “Sparge Step”.  I was changing the mash profiles back and forth, trying to figure that out, and at one point the field was not “working”.  But, I’m not able to recreate it, so there is no problem.  Sorry for the noise.

I think I'm still confused. I just noticed that when I change my boil time to 90 from 60 on a recipe, the pre-boil volume does not change. That cannot be accurate, and reading over this post it seems to be something that was corrected or included in the most recent update, which BeerSmith is saying I have. Can someone please help me figure this out. I know my numbers for a 60 minute boil and can probably figure out what to expect for a 90 minute, but it'd be nice if that feature worked the way I'm thinking it does for others (at my buddy's house it works and we could not find the setting that was different from his computer to mine).

Thank you! : )

That option is in the equipment profiles. Go into your "my equipment" profile and make sure the box for " use boil off as hourly rate" is checked. That should work.

Back