• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brett Saison

Bud Brewson

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello My fellow yeast wranglers!

I'm looking for a little direction for a mixed ferment Brett Saison.
What's the best way to brew such beer?

My current train of thought is to brew (70%pils,15%Munich,10%Rye,5%Wheat malt) mashed at ~150 = 1.054OG.
Run to FV and start ferment with wyeast PC-3726 Farmhouse. once finished rack to barrels and pitch L. Brevis and a Brett strain......

How does this sound?

My questions are:
If I mash higher, say 152 the yeast will leave MORE complex sugars for the brett/lacto to consume. Does this mean there will be MORE brett/lacto qualities?
Or is the main aroma and flavour we are getting from the brett not from sugar to alcohol fermentation but more rearrangement from esters etc?

AND what strains of brett do you recommend for light funk but noticeable funk?

Thanks in advance!

So, this'll depend a lot on how long you want to age it. Are you just looking for funk or do you want it to drift into sour territory? Your recipe and technique seem sound.

I've had incredibly good luck with White Labs American Farmhouse strain. It makes sellable beer in about 30 days and then the character evolves over the coming months. If you're going to bottle it and want your customers to store it, this is a pretty good choice, IMO. I've also foregone the barrel and just aged them in kegs.

I've found that I like the Brett Lambicus strain best. However, it's one of the harder strains to eradicate from the brewery, once it gets entrenched. I treat it with the same caution I'd give acid... that was on fire. Everything except barrels gets hot caustic followed by an acid rinse and paracetic sanitizer. Barrels get a hot water wash with both potassium and sodium metabisulfate, if I need to neutralize them. 

Thanks for your input.

I'm thinking of having them in ex white wine barrels for a year? maybe 10months? I've got the time.

I'll be using wyeast pc 3726 Farmhouse ale.
I'm a little apprehensive about brett in the brewery so most will go directly into Keg and shipped out.
Batch will be 7bbl.

Yeah I also hot Caustic everything and paracetic sanitizer.

Bud Brewson said:
Thanks for your input.

I'm thinking of having them in ex white wine barrels for a year? maybe 10months? I've got the time.

I'll be using wyeast pc 3726 Farmhouse ale.
I'm a little apprehensive about brett in the brewery so most will go directly into Keg and shipped out.
Batch will be 7bbl.

Yeah I also hot Caustic everything and paracetic sanitizer.

Yeah that's good cause Brett can seriously screw up a brewery. Hence why I am cautious and my sours age in my garage lol. Away from all the good beers.

couple of smaller yeast companies have brett blends that are good to establish a lacto/brett character and can be easily washed out with a standard CIP. Sour Batch kids by Imperial yeast and BrettSaison by BootlegBiology are both really good strains.

Back