• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry Irish Stout

Roosterbrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Brewer's, I am fairly new to all grain brewing with only 3 brews under my belt so far. I am thinking about brewing BeerSmith Dry Irish Stout but I have a few Questions to ask before I start. Firstly I live in the UK and my local Home Brew shop only keeps Safale yeast's so can I substitute Wyeast Lab Irish Ale 1084 yeast  for Safale S- 04 English Ale yeast and still get a good result, I bottle my beer so it will be bottle conditioned?
Also I brew in small Quantities to end up with 16 x 500mls bottles so can I mash out by just raising the mash temp without adding  extra  water? or may be not mash out at all. Thanks Guys any help is appreciated.

Wyeast 1084 is a good choice. The last Dry Stout I did I used White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale. I think they are pretty much interchangeable.

You can use safale S-04.  It will turn out fine. I like the S-04, it flocculates out nice and tight on the bottle bottoms when you bottle condition.

You can't go wrong with Safale S-04. I've used it many times. It's an excellent yeast and should be perfect for your stout. It was originally a Whitbread strain and the same as Wyeast 1099. My personal favorite, White labs WLP007, is a different Whitbread strain and attenuates more to produce a dryer beer.

It was a sad day when Whitbread stopped brewing after 260 years. My favorite beer of theirs was Mackeson. My father used to drink a bottle every day with his dinner. InBev still sell cans filled with a thin, metalic tasting black liquid they call Mackeson but it's nothing like the original so I never buy it. I have great memories of Whitbread because I left school at 15, moved to London and started drinking in a pub at the end of my street that served Trophy Bitter at 17p a pint (yes, I'm that old). A lot of pubs are closing nowadays which is sad but hardly suprising. I went into a small pub in Cheltenham last year where they wanted £4.99 for a pint of ordinary draught IPA. I told the barman to shove it up his arse and walked out. A lot of people must have done the same because it's now a pizza restaraunt.

Anyway, getting back to the subject, I don't bother doing a mash out unless I've got a thick mash or a recipe that includes more than 15% rye or 25% wheat or oats. It stops all enzyme action and makes the grain bed more fluid by raising the temperature. It's a bit like heating up oil to make it thinner and easier to pour.

If you ever need to expand your range of ingredients I can thoroughly recommend The Malt Miller. His range is one of the best in Europe. I find his mail order service very easy to use and I always get a fast service at a reasonable price. All of his grains are freshly milled to order and they are always the best quality. Before anybody asks, I have no connection and my recommendation is based purely on my own experience.

Back