• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Easier Decoction Mash

npg said:
I wrote about the mash schedule the Schneider brewery does for pretty much all their wheat beers.

http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/the-schneider-mash-profile/

Note how the Decoction itself is converted and handled.  95C for 5 minutes.  I'd start with that first.

Thanks NPG, very informative link! Also the Schneider-Brauerei link is very informative.
R, Slurk

Glad you found it useful  8)

What I am looking for with decoctions is a mild degree of caramelisation.  Cara-malts mimic this for single infusions and one might notice that these malts are often omitted from the grain bill once it goes to a decoction approach.

But there is no reason to look at decoctions as the holy grail.  A well tuned RIMS system can produce similar results quite reliably, and that would be more 21st century too.  Loads of plants are stuck with older equipment, and they produce great stuff -- so they are reluctant to change any of the variables (see Pilsner Urquell, Augustiner etc...).  It works and it works well for them, but it doesn't mean that it cannot be achieved with other methods and equipment too as long as the defining factors are understood.

There are umpteen ways to produce great beers, and that's the beauty of the trade :)

Happy brewing!

Back