• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract brew steeped grain absorption volume

stevebonny

Brewer
Reaction score
I was at my son's house for his first brew. We did an extract wee heavy in a small (2.3gal) batch size.
We ended up short of pre prepared water by 0.3 gallons.
Probably many reasons this could have happened an I should have had some spare water on hand!!
Anyhow while investigating the error, I noticed that the software doesn't seem to take account of the steeped grain water absorption volume.
With our recipe it would have been about half a pint.
Is it just considered negligeable, or should it be accounted somewhere that I'm missing? Thanks.

Most extract lit instructions call for topping up the fermenter to reach the specified batch size, so they don't account for grain absorption.

Upvote 0
Most extract lit instructions call for topping up the fermenter to reach the specified batch size, so they don't account for grain absorption.
Yeah, it could have been an easy fix if we had extra water on hand. I somehow messed up preparing the right water vol, thought I had some spare but not the case. We could have dumped a little tap water in to fix it, but we voted for a slightly stronger brew!!

Upvote 0
Back