• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Log

pvignola

New Forum Member
Reaction score
How about adding a log to track your fermentation temps.  I use a spreadsheet now and it would be great if I could just enter the info into Beersmith.

Keep up the great work.

Phil

Phil,
 Great idea - I will add it to the list.

Brad

• oh yes please!!  But not just temps :)

I'd love to see some sort of date fields around fermentation time and carbonation time.

For example, my current Excel spreadsheet brew log has fields to input:
    • The date the brew went into the primary fermentor,
    • The date it was racked into secondary,
    • The date it started lagering or conditioning, and
    • The date it was bottled

The spreadsheet then calculates the number of days elapsed for each period, with each calculation based on either the next field's date, or if the next field is empty, the current system date.

Based on these dates, and the current system date, I can easily tell how long the brew has been fermenting, lagering or carbonating for.

And another request please: It may have been decided that this next request is out-of-scope for the application, however I'd love to see some sort if bottling inventory and calculator to figure out how many bottles of a particular size you're going to need or use for this particular batch.

Regards,
    Tim.

Hmmm,
  Is there any way you could use the existing fields -- The current recipe entry page has a place for both the number of days at each stage and temperature at each stage.  For example the new brewing calendar I'm working on simply goes off the brewing date and adds a period of X days (see the Fermentation section of the recipe) for Primary, Y days for the secondary, and then ages it for the period recorded in the recipe.  On the calendar this shows up as brewing on the brew date, fermenting for a few days in the primary, etc...in fact is is quite nice as you can schedule batches on the calendar based on your needs.

As for bottles - it is pretty easy to calculate how many bottles you need using the "Volume units" calculator - it will show how many bottles it takes for a given volume of beer.  The only problem I see with tracking bottle inventory is that bottles are returned to the pool at a somewhat random rate (i.e. you drink them, some are given away, etc...).  Therefore you would  need to be manually updating your inventory all the time to keep an accurate count of empty bottles.  It seems to me it might be easier to just count what you have on hand and then compare that to the number needed for a given batch size.

Cheers!
Brad

a fermentation log feature would be great. i would like to be able to log a date, fermentation temp., specific gravity and maybe some comments (ex. added sugar or different yeast to fermentation) so you can log the whole fermentation. maybe even a fancy bar graph feature of the temperature and the specific gravity of the beer during the fermentation.

I don't force carbonate my beers.  I use the lagering period to make the CO2 in the beer with the help of a "Spundungsapparat" (don't know the word in English, sorry) which keeps the pressure at 1Bar.

Would be nice to see BeerSmith support this!  Working with Speise etc... is not really an option either.  It's not that I don't know how to calculate this (if needed) but the application would be more complete if it would support this method as well.

Here is a screenshot from my spreadsheet...  maybe some hints of when the lager should start would be useful in the calendar?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 10.53.09.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 10.53.09.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,218
I know this topic hasn't been active for a while, but I am trying to find this feature. Has it been addressed, or can anyone recommend a work around?

I would like to add my vote for a fermentation log, here is what I envision it would have:

A timeline graphical view of specific gravity and/or ABV, including the OG, FG and any intermediate gravity measurements taken along the way. This would be great to monitor fermentation progress and to help predict when fermentation would be complete, for a given set of conditions (temp primarily).

It would also be handy to be able to include taste notes tied to a particular date, so that at each stage/measurement of the fermentation progress you could have a log. This would allow for us to monitor the developing flavor profile throughout our fermentation, aging, and conditioning. I see this as especially useful for when I am monitoring gravity and flavor over a long period of time (i.e. barrel aging sour beers). I currently use the text field of the Taste Notes text field, but then I have to use excel to get a graphical view of the changes in gravity.

Thanks for the great product, keep those new features coming!

- Jared

Back