• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermintation ended quickly

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I have just brewed an IPA, and pitched in 2 packs of Safale US-05, and it went crazy for 2 days, and then stopped. I have not done a hydrometer reading yet, but is this normal for dry yeast to end fermentation that quickly. I ususally do liquid yeast which will go for 4-7 day of active fermentation.
Thanks,
Dan

I find 05 finishes pretty fast for me.  I do not think I have ever had it finish in two days though.  Really though, your hydrometer is your friend trust it before airlock activity.

Will do, thanks. If I have not hit my numbers, can I add more yeast, or how should I correct.
Thanks,
Dan

You should be able to add more yeast without getting into trouble. Some guys like to add lager yeast to help attenuate if needed. They say it can eat some sugars that ale yeasts cant so it could help get your gravity down towards your target. I would check the gravity first like rep said. I dont use dry yeast but my buddy uses it regularly and says it typically finishes quicker than the liquid yeasts he has tried. Good luck,

Depends on the temp.  Two days for really active fermentation is not all that unusual. You should not assume the yeast are done either.

I would avoid adding more yeast until you know what the beer is doing.  If you do, you want to add yeast at high krausen.  Adding a packet of dry yeast is not advisable considering the state of the beer.  It has CO2 and alcohol and little or nor oxygen left.  Yeast go through an aerobic the anaerobic stage.  They don't bud too many new cells without oxygen and the alcohol is toxic in the aerobic stage.

Back