• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First all grain brew using beersmith.... Do my strike temps/volume look right?

drummertime

Apprentice
Reaction score
Wondering if my strike temperatures and estimated boil volumes look right?  The water volume seems high, but I'm also going for a 90 min boil.  Also my strike temp seems to low?  Please help this is my first time using beersmith..

I use a 12 gallon cooler and it's usually about 172* for an infusion mash.

I have "Adjust Temp for Equipment" checked though because I don't preheat the mash tun.

The 2nd sparge seems larger than mine would, but you have a gallon dead space marked off.

I was wondering about the dead space volume.  I generally tip my 10 gal cooler to get all the wort I can out.  So I think I'll measure the amount left after that because I know its a lot less than a gallon.  So that's the trick if you check the adjust temp for equipment it factors in loss of temp when you don't preheat the cooler...  So what do you add for your MLT temp 70 degrees or room temp?  Plus I typically use a funnel & stuff a large screen mesh bag & pour all my wort in my carboy.  So I probably also have little to no loss to trub & chiller...

It took me a couple batches to dial it in perfectly. But yeah set the mash tun for 70* and check that box, your strike temp should rise quite a few degrees. I find its better to err on the side of hot because I can always stir and add water, but adding more heat would be more challenging than cooling.

One thing I forgot to do was weigh the mash tun when I first set up the equipment profile, my guess was way off and so were my infusion temps.

drummertime said:
...  So what do you add for your MLT temp 70 degrees or room temp?  Plus I typically use a funnel & stuff a large screen mesh bag & pour all my wort in my carboy.  So I probably also have little to no loss to trub & chiller...

All the settings in BSmith are Garbage In, Garbage Out.  Ideally, you want to describe your unique set-up as accurately as possible.  Losses, s/s or plastic MLT, volume and weight of MLT, grain temps, MLT temps, etc., are all variables and should be set as close to possible to the conditions on Brew Day.  For example, my MLT sits in the garage, and could be 85F in summer and 65F in winter.  The night before brewing I enter current temps in BSmith so the strike estimate is as close as possible. 

Then I aim high and preheat the MLT for the reasons cited above.  It's much easier to quickly stir out 2F when too hot, than to add enough boiling water to raise a full MLT by 2F.

Back