• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Trappist beer - bottles lacking Carbonation

magnethead

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I tried my first Trappist beer...and I guess I used my standard Ale technique on the Beer.

O.G 1.067
F.G 1.010

Bottled the beer, and added 1 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle as usual. Kept @ 20c(68F) for 2 weeks and then left then to mature for 1 month.

After opening a bottle, I was really happy with the taste of the beer but the carbonation was definately lacking.

Because this is my first high alcohol/trappist beer, I was just wondering should I have added new yeast upon bottling? Should I stick the bottles back into a controlled temperature room @ 25c(77F)? to bump up the carbonation.
A bottle of Chimay can be almost champagne like with it's fizz....where have I gone wrong

Thanks  ???

MH,
      Try inverting the bottles to mix it. Place the bottles in a warm dark place for a couple of weeks at 72 ºF = 22.22 ºC
        Trappist ale yeast works like any other. If it fails to carbonate than maybe the beer had no oxygen to ferment?
          good luck!

Thanks Bobbrews, I'll give that a shot :)

I have noticed when taking 2 demijohns worth out of my 10Litre stock pot, that the first demijohn seems to be the cleanest(Gets the pure top layer of beer) and oxigenates very easily when I pour it back and forth a couple of times between another Demijohn.
The second Demijohn has much more sediment even though I use a good filter on the funnel, and it is MUCH MUCH harder to oxigenate this one, It's head of bubbles is about a third of the first one after pouring back and forth.

The Yeast activity is always better in the first Demijohn so I take your point about the oxygen, It makes a BIG difference!!

Hi,
While siphoning the beer to bottle (from a 20L carboy), I was always moving the hose from top to bottom following the beer surface level. I registered the fractions "top, middle, bottom" and labeled the bottles as such. My observation, with different types of yeast and in several occasions, was that the top-labeled-bottles were lacking full carbonation and the bottom-labeled-bottles were fully carbonated.
I changed my siphoning routine into having the hose constantly close to the bottom while bottling. I registered the fractions “first, main, final” and labeled the bottles as such. I observed no noticeable carbonation differences after bottling.

Bottled the beer, and added 1 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle as usual

You add sugar to every bottle? Why not add a measured amount of boiled sugar water into the bottling bucket, based upon the total volume to be bottled, and give it a good stir?

I was just wondering should I have added new yeast upon bottling?

From what I've read it is not uncommon for Trappist ales to be fermented with one yeast, then bottle conditioned with another.

Should I stick the bottles back into a controlled temperature room @ 25c(77F)? to bump up the carbonation.

Wouldn't hurt.

Back