First Trappist beer - bottles lacking Carbonation

magnethead

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I tried my first Trappist beer...and I guess I used my standard Ale technique on the Beer.

O.G 1.067
F.G 1.010

Bottled the beer, and added 1 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle as usual. Kept @ 20c(68F) for 2 weeks and then left then to mature for 1 month.

After opening a bottle, I was really happy with the taste of the beer but the carbonation was definately lacking.

Because this is my first high alcohol/trappist beer, I was just wondering should I have added new yeast upon bottling? Should I stick the bottles back into a controlled temperature room @ 25c(77F)? to bump up the carbonation.
A bottle of Chimay can be almost champagne like with it's fizz....where have I gone wrong

Thanks  ???

MH,
      Try inverting the bottles to mix it. Place the bottles in a warm dark place for a couple of weeks at 72 ºF = 22.22 ºC
        Trappist ale yeast works like any other. If it fails to carbonate than maybe the beer had no oxygen to ferment?
          good luck!

Thanks Bobbrews, I'll give that a shot :)

I have noticed when taking 2 demijohns worth out of my 10Litre stock pot, that the first demijohn seems to be the cleanest(Gets the pure top layer of beer) and oxigenates very easily when I pour it back and forth a couple of times between another Demijohn.
The second Demijohn has much more sediment even though I use a good filter on the funnel, and it is MUCH MUCH harder to oxigenate this one, It's head of bubbles is about a third of the first one after pouring back and forth.

The Yeast activity is always better in the first Demijohn so I take your point about the oxygen, It makes a BIG difference!!

Hi,
While siphoning the beer to bottle (from a 20L carboy), I was always moving the hose from top to bottom following the beer surface level. I registered the fractions "top, middle, bottom" and labeled the bottles as such. My observation, with different types of yeast and in several occasions, was that the top-labeled-bottles were lacking full carbonation and the bottom-labeled-bottles were fully carbonated.
I changed my siphoning routine into having the hose constantly close to the bottom while bottling. I registered the fractions “first, main, final” and labeled the bottles as such. I observed no noticeable carbonation differences after bottling.

Bottled the beer, and added 1 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle as usual

You add sugar to every bottle? Why not add a measured amount of boiled sugar water into the bottling bucket, based upon the total volume to be bottled, and give it a good stir?

I was just wondering should I have added new yeast upon bottling?

From what I've read it is not uncommon for Trappist ales to be fermented with one yeast, then bottle conditioned with another.

Should I stick the bottles back into a controlled temperature room @ 25c(77F)? to bump up the carbonation.

Wouldn't hurt.

Back