• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Getting "Another Copy May Be Running" error

mister2

Apprentice
Reaction score
BeerSmith 3
MacOS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Apple MacBook Air M2 (Apple Silicon)

I'm getting the above message while trying to start BS3 which I have used for quite a while. All of my data is on the local hard drive, so not using networked storage. I removed the InUse.lck file with no success. I also rebooted for sanity's sake with no luck. I have an auto-renewing license, so that shouldn't be the problem. I also was not able to find an answer from checking the BS FAQs and searching the forum. I even temporarily disabled my firewall to rule that out. I don't suspect data corruption, but other than reinstalling the app, does anyone have any guidance? Thanks very much in advance.

Please check Help->About in the software and make sure you are on the very latest version (3.2.8). If not try downloading and installing the latest version.

Hi Brad

I'm not really having this problem, but I have version 3.2.7. When I click on the 'check for updates', BS3 is telling me I have the latest version

Please manually download the update from BeerSmith.com - I did not force the update on everyone as it does not work well with some older Macs. Unfortunately with the switch from Intel to M1 platforms a lot of stuff changed so I've had to maintain multiple Mac versions for backward compatibility with older devices.

Installing the latest version solved my problem. I was originally running v3.1.07. Updating to 3.2.8 fixed it. Thanks very much!

BeerSmith 3.2.8
MacOS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Apple iMac with Intel processor

I am also having the "Another Copy May Be Running" error and am unable to launch the application. Thus far I've tried rebooting the computer as well as deleting and reinstalling BeerSmith. The app details confirms I have Version 3.2.8

The error dialogue states there is a file in my BeerSmith directory that indicates another copy may be using that data. I have no idea of how to proceed from here.

That typically happens when the program crashes and does not properly close on the previous run. Check Help->About to be sure as some people on Mac's have had an issue where they still had an old shortcut to the old version.

If that fails I would probably try resetting the data which is a bit of a process, but will get you back to a stable baseline if you have some kind of corruption. Please drop me an email at beersmith at beersmith.com and I can forward detailed instructions.

Brad

That typically happens when the program crashes and does not properly close on the previous run. Check Help->About to be sure as some people on Mac's have had an issue where they still had an old shortcut to the old version.

If that fails I would probably try resetting the data which is a bit of a process, but will get you back to a stable baseline if you have some kind of corruption. Please drop me an email at beersmith at beersmith.com and I can forward detailed instructions.

Brad
Thanks....not sure what I did but it's now working. After reinstalling/updating to 3.2.8 I was initially having the same issue with the "another copy" running error and no ability to ignore the error notice without crashing. I just ejected the .dmg installer, relaunched the app, received the same error but this time was able to continue into the app. From there I closed the app and have repeatedly been able to access as normal.

I'll still send you an email for the detailed data resetting instructions as something tells me I'll need them eventually.

Thanks

larry

Back