• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to add water to kettle

Rbrown

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is my problem. My boil kettle isn't big enough to hold all the wort from the mashtun its about 5.73 liters short. How do I use the program to just add water after say boiling for 30 minutes to top this up and still hit my final gravity at my post boil volume? I tried top up fermenter but that did not work. If i use top up boil kettle it says nothing. My mash tun is 75.71 liters and the boil volume says 81.44 L. Why would it not give you a pre boil gravity at 75.71L? That way you can calculate the the amount of top up water?

The simple solution is to reduce your batch size to fit your equipment. Otherwise, just top up the fermenters. Lots of commercial breweries do this to optimize their output. It also allows you to adjust the OG to your target value.

Upvote 0
The top up post kettle is not a bad idea as that should allow you to get down to numbers that fit in the kettle.

Upvote 0
yup i see how that works now. Maybe in the future we could add what the gravity is at the mash tun max so you know what the gravity is supposed to be before you add water. However the math is not really that hard to do it yourself.

For anyone else looking to do the same you will take the pre boil volume minus your mash tun maximum level and add that to your kettle top up. It will give you the gravity to pre boil and you will have to do the math. eg preboil is 80L your mash tun is 75L. Preboil gravity is 10 Plato so you should read 10.67 at 75L. (80L x 10P=800, 800 / 75L = 10.67P)

Upvote 0
Back