• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Huge bug: Recipe override/deletion

calebmeinke

Apprentice
Reaction score
Since upgrading to Beersmith 3 on my iPhone, I have experienced an issue where I will access one of my recipes, but the recipe that appears is a completely different recipe from a different folder. For example, when I access one of my German Pilsner recipes, my Amber Ale recipe appears. When I attempt to access my cranberry cream ale recipe, my robust porter recipe pops up. Any recipe affected by this glitch cannot be fixed, which results in the affected recipe being lost to the ether. Unfortunately, attempting to recover these recipes from the cloud (which can?t be increased beyond 15 on the app anymore) usually results in the newly saved recipe overriding yet another recipe, thus making any effort to save a cloud recipe to my device a ?roll of the dice?.

In addition to this issue, I?ve had several recipes present no information upon accessing them. In their place a window stating something to the effect of ?This recipe cannot be retrieved. Delete this recipe?? appears.

I?ve lost over a half of a dozen recipes to these issue, some of them award winning recipes, and it is getting to a point where I?m considering abandoning beersmith for another software option. I downloaded the app to avoid having to write down each recipe and store it away somewhere, but these issues have left me little choice at this point. If this isn?t fixed in a way that ensures recipes are safe and in a way where my overridden recipes can be recovered, I?m out. This is simply unacceptable.

P.S. Since posting my original comments, I have lost two more recipes to the ?cannot retrieve - delete this recipe?? issue. One of them is a recipe I accessed and brewed Saturday.

I have restarted the app, restarted my phone, and tried everything else I can think of to retain my data, but nothing works. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Now, at 12:40 am at the start of a work week I?m taking screenshots of what recipes I can still access as to save them before they fall victim to the corruption issues of Beersmith 3. Unreal...

...And another one bites the dust. A recipe I accessed less than one hour ago can no longer be retrieved. The exact error message is ?Could not load recipe - Delete listing??

Did you update to the latest build?  I corrected most of these issues several weeks ago.

Also try going to Options->Reset/Restore data and try the options there to recover recipes as it may be able to recover some of the missing ones.

Brad

I'm running 3.0.7. My app does not indicate any update is available. So, I'm assuming this is the most recent version.

As instructed, I ran the "Rebuild Recipe Index" tool, and it just resulted in a permanent override of the recipes that bring up a different recipe when clicked... For example, my Schwarzbier recipe that was pulling up my Gose recipe when clicked was permanently replaced by a duplicate of my Gose recipe after running the "Rebuild Recipe Index" tool... Tally a few more in the "lost" category.

Running the "Recover Unlinked Recipes" tool did nothing to fix the "Could not load recipe - remove listing?" issue. Upon running it, the message "No unlinked recipes found" appears, and I still cannot access any recipe affected by this "Could not load recipe" glitch.

My total lost/inaccessible recipe count is up to 12 at this point.

I lost yet another recipe to the ?Could not load recipe - remove listing?? issue tonight. I?m just checking in one more time to see if any remedy or fix for this issue is on the way... 13 recipes, nearly half of my total, lost. Is there a way to rectify this? If not, I?m moving on to different brewing software.

I?m coming back one more time in hopes Brad will reply with something substantial and meaningful  as to how these issues will get resolved. Since my last post, I?ve made three new/rebuild recipes in the Beersmith app. Each of them has eventually resulted in the newly created recipe producing the ?could not load recipe - remove listing?? error within a week of their creation. Using the data recovery features does nothing to rectify this issue.

How and when will this be fixed? Will the recipes affected by this issue ever be recoverable?

I would recommend writing directly to Brad at beersmith at beersmith dot com for a quicker response to your issue.

One question, are your recipe files stored locally or in the cloud (not BeerSmith recipe cloud)?  Do you run BeerSmith on more than one computer?  (OK, that was two questions.  I was hoping you wouldn't count)

Hello,

My recipes are stored in the app, and I have 15 of them stored in the cloud. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to increase the quantity I am able to store in the Beersmith Cloud since the Beersmith 3 release. When these issues first started, I tried that route to save as much data as I could; however, I was unsuccessful in finding a way to increase my cloud capacity with the new app.

Back