• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lemon zest in Wheat Ale

BrewerJack

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey Brewer Friends! My brew buddy and I plan to make a Honey Lemon Wheat beer soon and was wondering about your experiences using Meyer Lemon zest specifically. I am concerned about this variety after a friend told me he had bad results adding this to his homemade LemonCello liquor. Evidently flavor was terrible and dumped it. He used "regular" lemon varieties before with good results (which tasted amazing).
Your thoughts/experiences on best type of lemon to use would be much appreciated.
Jack R.

A quick Google search yielded the following comparison:  https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-meyer-lemons-and-regular-lemons-word-of-mouth-216551

Good luck!

Thanks very much for link article on the differences between Meyer and other types. The key difference I read about was more sweetness and the herbal, bergamot character. I don't think the later will come thru negatively after the hot steeping, fermentation, settling and aging a bit.
Will let you all know.
Jack R

I would question how your friend made their lemoncello. I always hang my lemons above the liquor. If you directly add lemon zest there's a lot of room for failure. While it is quicker than hanging, it's also WAY more failure prone.

as with anything, make sure you properly wash it first too ;)

Probably late to the party here, but to get lemon flavor, I use Lemon Drop hops. Tried zest one time and the oils messed up head retention.

Back