Linux version

Epipsychidion

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly thanks for making such a great piece of software - I love it! I have a question in regards to the linux version - currently it's only available as a .deb file, and whilst I have converted and installed previously on non Debian based versions I was wondering if a Flatpak version had been considered as then you could generate one version that would be linux platform agnostic.

Once again thanks for everything!

I do not have plans to launch the current version in another package, but I will be looking at it for a future release.

Upvote 0
It will be great if Linux version will be available from some repo. I propsed creating apt repo some time ago since it looks rather easy when you have deb packages ready, but now I think adding into snap or flatpak will be better option since it will be distro independent.

Upvote 0
I am considering switching my laptop from windows to Linux. I'll format the hard drive and start clean.
Which version of Linux is best, considering that I intend to use this device only for beersmith?
If I make a backup from the windows version first, will the Linux version be able to update from that backup file?

Upvote 0
Hi JKrehbiel,

Currently only Ubuntu variants are directly supported I believe, so any of those would work fine for you. Personally I'm fond of Pop!_OS, but pretty much any Ubuntu derivative should work.

Upvote 0
Yes I would pick a Ubuntu variant as the downloads are on the main BeerSmith download page.
Once you start thinking outside of the square things get interesting though.... I'm running Fedora currently, but have set up a Ubuntu 22.04 container through Distrobox and this is how I am running Beersmith without any issues this far.....

Upvote 0
I have a question in regards to the linux version - currently it's only available as a .deb file, and whilst I have converted and installed previously on non Debian based versions I was wondering if a Flatpak version had been considered as then you could generate one version that would be linux platform agnostic.
I echo the request for a platform agnostic Flatpak. Until that happens, here are my hints on I got Beersmith3 to run on the current Debian 12 Bookworm. Two of the libraries BeerSmith requires have been updated in current distributions and BeerSmith doesn't run with updated libraries. Unless Brad updates to current levels of Ubuntu, I expect most Linux users will need to 'fix' some library names by installing or symbolic linking to run Beersmith3.

If beersmith3 doesn't run from the menu, open a terminal and try to run beersmith3 from the command line. You will see the library that needs fixing. After a library is fixed, you will see the error message from the next library that needs a fix. The new version of libtiff actually works, we just need to access it as the old name. libjpeg.so.8 is provided by the libjpeg-turbo8 package in Ubuntu 22.04. The dependencies of libjpeg-turbo8 are already installed by default in Debian, so it just needs to be installed.

The following changes allowed the application to run for me.
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.6 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.5
sudo apt update
wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/po...turbo/libjpeg-turbo8_2.1.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
sudo apt install ./libjpeg-turbo8_2.1.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

The end of Windows 10 is approaching quickly, but I am happy with my current laptop and desktop for running BeerSmith. So I will upgrade each to Linux Mint Debian Edition. I use straight Debian on servers, but for desktop devices I like the extras that come with Mint.

Earlier this year I ran a weekly seminar for folks who wanted to learn Linux. Several users tried multiple distributions. Most of them ended up with the 'regular' Ubuntu based Linux Mint. Two ended up on Zorin which is also based on Ubuntu and is designed to be very Windows-like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried to run BeerSmith 3 on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (Noble Numbat). Creating symbolic links for required library levels ‘solved’ all the runtime library issues, but it caused such issues with the system that I uninstalled that Ubuntu release. Any attempt to install updates failed with the error message: The following packages have unmet dependencies: beersmith3 : Depends: libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 but it is not installable Only removing BeerSmith allowed me to update software.

If you want to run Ubuntu, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) supported until April 2027 and is officially supported by BeerSmith. Using the supported version of Ubuntu is certainly the best advice for any Linux novice to run BeerSmith.

Upvote 0
I am working on a 24.04 build - just need to find a few more hours to complete and test it.

Upvote 0
I tried to run BeerSmith 3 on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (Noble Numbat). Creating symbolic links for required library levels ‘solved’ all the runtime library issues, but it caused such issues with the system that I uninstalled that Ubuntu release. Any attempt to install updates failed with the error message: The following packages have unmet dependencies: beersmith3 : Depends: libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 but it is not installable Only removing BeerSmith allowed me to update software.

If you want to run Ubuntu, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) supported until April 2027 and is officially supported by BeerSmith. Using the supported version of Ubuntu is certainly the best advice for any Linux novice to run BeerSmith.
My recommendation is the same, use the officially supported Ubuntu until there are more options.

I have it working with Debian 11, but it was not easy. I should also note that I hate Debian, but it was required for other software I'm using (Home Assistant - Supervised). While I'm not a huge Ubuntu fan, Beersmith ran quite well on it for me for a time.

Also, there is actually a Snap version published in the Snap Store, but unofficial. No idea if that works at this point.

Upvote 0
Here's the draft Ubuntu 24.04 test build which I was able to properly run and install on a generic Ubuntu 24.04 machine. You do need to run "sudo dpkg -i BeerSmith-3.2.8_23_04_amd64.deb" to install it as it appears the graphical dpkg manager is not installed by default on 24.04.

https://beersmith3-2.s3.amazonaws.com/BeerSmith-3.2.8_24_04_amd64.deb

If you find any issues please drop me an email or private message.

Brad

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+1 for a flatpak!

I'm running Fedora and managed to run Beersmith with distrobox, but that's not ideal. So far it looks fine, I managed to activate my license.

But a distro-agnostic package would be fantastic!

Upvote 0
Back