• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

looking for a certain grain. help

davig

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am trying to look for a grain that has a roasted/coffee taste like would be in a porter/stout without the dark color. I want more of a light to mild color. I don't know if this actually exist, but if anyone knows of one or how I would be able to achieve this please post.

just so you don't think we're ignoring your request....

I got nuthin'. 

The only think I can think of is Briess Special Roast.  It's 50L.  Last option I know of would be Crisp amber malt.  There are some coffee overtones but not sure how much you are looking for.

Mark

Roast Chicory comes to mind.

Pretty much any Brown malt will have coffee-like flavors when used sparingly.
Franco Belge makes Coffee Malt, at 165 L.

Naturally, Coffee gets its' roasty flavor and dark color from roasting.  But, for grins, I've run cold coffee through a new Britta filter and the color lightened significantly. Activated carbon is cool, like that.

[ponders wisdom of above advice]
... *sigh*... if homebrewing + activated carbon leads to Blonde RIS; I'm probably just going to turn in my Grand Master Judge pin.... 

Back