Maelstrom stir plate

• Thread starter Thread starter KernelCrush
  • Start date Start date
I built one using an old cigar box, fans, and a couple magnets out of an old hard drive for under 20 bucks.

I made one myself, also. I popped for a waterproof plastic box in case a big starter foamed over. I had most of the other parts, so it's hard to estimate the cost, but probably no more than $30 and it does a great job.

--GF

Greetings All - I have a maelstrom stir plate and I love it.  However, my first one started giving me a problem while stirring my 5,000 mL flask; it only pulsed and never spun the stir bar.  So I contacted the vendor, Midwest Supplies, and they sent me a new one even though the warranty expired.

Regarding the cheaper stir plates, I had one before I bought my maelstrom.  I don?t recall the brand, but I believe I paid about $60 for it.  It lasted about 18 months and all the while I struggled getting the stir bar to sit properly over the magnet inside the plate.  The magnet kept throwing the stir bar off to the side.  Was a real pain in the.....  The maelstrom literally sucks the stir bar into exact position and away we go.  Yes, it was a little pricy.  But worth every penny and Midwest Supplies really took care of me with my purchase.

As I progressed in the hobby I often built my initial gear. I did so with my first stir plate. It worked but always needed attention.

When the funds became available I pulled the trigger. Best purchase in a long time.

I used a stir plate for about a year before I discovered the "Shaken Not Stirred" yeast starter method. My stir plat has been gathering dust ever since.

Kevin58 said:
I used a stir plate for about a year before I discovered the "Shaken Not Stirred" yeast starter method. My stir plat has been gathering dust ever since.

Yup...different strategies, methods and enjoyment for different brewers. I enjoyed reading your comment....then the quote from Denny in your sig file. Both consistent with one another.

This is a very nice stir plate. Easily handles everything I've "thrown at it".

Back