• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun Deadspace addition

DarkUncle

Apprentice
Reaction score
Why does Beersmith not allow me to change this in the mash profile?

Attachments

• Mash.GIF
    Mash.GIF
    44.6 KB · Views: 15
This is something that needs to be set in your equipment profile. If you haven't set up an equipment profile, you need to. Here's a link to a video on how to do so: http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/04/beersmith-tutorial-equipment-profile-setup/

Thanks Bob. I had already done that but what I didn?t realize was that I had to go into the recipe and re-select the equipment again in order for it to register on the actual recipe.

One other question if I might ask. Do you know what BeerSmith uses as the grain absorption rate? I?m trying to get this equipment profile dialed in for my Grainfather and the water additions are just coming in too high from what I had used in the past on this particular recipe.

Thanks again,
Chris

DarkUncle said:
Thanks Bob. I had already done that but what I didn?t realize was that I had to go into the recipe and re-select the equipment again in order for it to register on the actual recipe.

You can create a recipe with all of your favorite profiles, plus all of the ingredients you use on every batch (like Irish Moss) and then save it as the default recipe. BeerSmith will ask if you're sure, say yes. Now, every time you click to add a recipe, everything will be in place.

I have several folders for various brewhouses. In each one, I have a "Default XYZ" recipe that I can quickly open, save as default, and go on with what I need to do. It's very easy to then add and update for each situation. This works as well for various recipe sources like BYO or Zymurgy where the default systems might be a bit different.

I have done exactly as brewfun suggests. I have three recipe templates (or defaults). All of them have just three things in them to start... Add Whirfloc... Add Yeast Nutrient... and Turn on Pump at :15 minutes.

One of the templates is for my 5 gallon BIAB process. The second is for my 5 gallon three vessel process and the third for my 10 gallon three vessel process.

To make sure I don't accidentally overwrite one of my templates I copy and paste it and then create my recipe in the copy.

Back