• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My Shared Recipes have a backup now!

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I just wanted to tell everyone that as well as here anything that I have posted recipe wise will also be available via my blog hosted @ my house. You can access it via the following link, I decided to do this so that all the recipes I share will be available 24/7 even if beersmith is down for maintenance or whatnot.

http://192.168.1.125/wordpress/

Please understand that it is hosted off my NAS.

Yeah, 192.168.X.Y IP addresses are non-routable, so only accessible from your side of the router. These subnets are typically used for home setups, so there may be millions of computers using the address 192.168.0.125. One of my favorite jokes is to be watching NCIS on TV when they identify someone's IP address and use it to locate them. When they show a 192.168.X.Y address I say "Hey, that's my computer. Look out, NCIS is coming." It's the IP address equivalent of a phone number that is 555-XXXX, also a favorite on TV.

I store my recipes locally and back them up to a local drive, to a cloud backup service and also have them available on a (non-Beersmith) cloud storage site. Some people say I am paranoid, but there were people in Santa Rosa who had 10 minutes to evacuate their homes, which then burned to the ground. If I have 10 minutes to grab things to save, I don't want to worry about having to disconnect computer drives to save valuable files.

--GF

GigaFemto said:
Yeah, 192.168.X.Y IP addresses are non-routable, so only accessible from your side of the router. These subnets are typically used for home setups, so there may be millions of computers using the address 192.168.0.125. One of my favorite jokes is to be watching NCIS on TV when they identify someone's IP address and use it to locate them. When they show a 192.168.X.Y address I say "Hey, that's my computer. Look out, NCIS is coming." It's the IP address equivalent of a phone number that is 555-XXXX, also a favorite on TV.

I store my recipes locally and back them up to a local drive, to a cloud backup service and also have them available on a (non-Beersmith) cloud storage site. Some people say I am paranoid, but there were people in Santa Rosa who had 10 minutes to evacuate their homes, which then burned to the ground. If I have 10 minutes to grab things to save, I don't want to worry about having to disconnect computer drives to save valuable files.

--GF

It's viewable, I tested it it is not behind a router it's directly connected so nothing is blocking it. I work with computers as a living so if you can't see it then I need to look into it.

I sent it to 50 people yesterday had maybe 3 not be able to see it

It's viewable, I tested it it is not behind a router it's directly connected so nothing is blocking it. I work with computers as a living so if you can't see it then I need to look into it.

I sent it to 50 people yesterday had maybe 3 not be able to see it
[/quote]

Make that 5 that can't connect to that IP Address.

Oginme said:
Same here, so that number is up to 6.

Let me work on it, I'll have to read on Synology site and see what they say about it. I'm still figuring out some of the nas software. I'll get it working right.

As of now it is down so don't try and connect.

Your router may be able to use a pass-through address (I may have forgotten the correct term for the service): You give out the router's IP and it passes the request to a computer inside your home network.

durrettd said:
Your router may be able to use a pass-through address (I may have forgotten the correct term for the service): You give out the router's IP and it passes the request to a computer inside your home network.

Yeah, I'm a computer guy but I'm not a network guy so I'm having some issues with getting it working. if I have to ill pay for a goddamn domain.

I'm an expert in both.  Is your Synology acting as your internet gateway/router?  If so, your wordpress may be accessible via your public IP.  If you do not know your public IP, you can open a google search page and enter "what's my IP" and google will tell you.  It MAY be as easy as yourPublicIP/wordpress.  You can test by turning off wifi on your phone and opening a browser on your phone to your publicIP/wordpress.

If your Synology box is your gateway but using your public IP doesn;t work, you would need to adjust firewall rules.  I have a couple Synology boxes but they are not directly connected to The Internet and are not my gateway. 

If you have a separate gateway/router, you would need to enable port forwarding to your synology.  You would need to forward port 80 to 192.168.1.125.

If you want a free DNS name, you can use a free DNS service like FreeDNS, pick a domain from the pool and pick a host name like ck27.mooo.com and point it to your public IP.

Good luck.

http://beer.jomebrew.com
http://web.jomebrew.com

jomebrew said:
I'm an expert in both.  Is your Synology acting as your internet gateway/router?  If so, your wordpress may be accessible via your public IP.  If you do not know your public IP, you can open a google search page and enter "what's my IP" and google will tell you.  It MAY be as easy as yourPublicIP/wordpress.  You can test by turning off wifi on your phone and opening a browser on your phone to your publicIP/wordpress.

If your Synology box is your gateway but using your public IP doesn;t work, you would need to adjust firewall rules.  I have a couple Synology boxes but they are not directly connected to The Internet and are not my gateway. 

If you have a separate gateway/router, you would need to enable port forwarding to your synology.  You would need to forward port 80 to 192.168.1.125.

If you want a free DNS name, you can use a free DNS service like FreeDNS, pick a domain from the pool and pick a host name like ck27.mooo.com and point it to your public IP.

Good luck.

http://beer.jomebrew.com
http://web.jomebrew.com

Thanks, I've owned several WordPress based e-commerce stores so while I'm pretty knowledgeable I have fuck all of a idea on how to host a site off my Synology but it is possible. :(.

So I'm going to try what you suggested and if it doesn't work I'll just pay up and host it. :) I just need a place to publicly post all my recipies.

https://properhomebrewrecipes.wordpress.com/

Here is a temporary site, I'm still adding to it, and until I get an extra $120 or so to put towards a proper.com domain its going to stay the way it is. It is a free site that I'm providing and I'm not making money on it so I don't really want to pay out of pocket right now.

Nice recipes, but if you add very many more it will be a pain to have to scroll a lot to see them all. I suggest you have a list or table at the top that has the name, style and a brief description of each, with a link to the recipe. That way readers can quickly see the whole set of options and then zoom in on the one of interest.

--GF

GigaFemto said:
Nice recipes, but if you add very many more it will be a pain to have to scroll a lot to see them all. I suggest you have a list or table at the top that has the name, style and a brief description of each, with a link to the recipe. That way readers can quickly see the whole set of options and then zoom in on the one of interest.

--GF

I'm going to add categories so you can click and see all the beers by type

Short of changing the theme I cant fix it, :( the theme that I want to use is only available if I pay for a premium subscription and get a domain but I am holding off until I have enough to do so.

Added 4 More beer recipes, I'm working on securing funding to upgrade to a premium account with wordpress so I can get a custom theme, its going to be $24 a month to do so.

Back