• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Notes, readings on cloud recipe gone + strange recipe changes

mattg88

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been working from a recipe I made on the cloud using Beersmith 3 on desktop, and suddenly today I've gone into the recipe and all the notes I'd made are gone, all of the readings and OG measurements, etc. My practice is to hit 'okay' on the recipe and/or save, but in this case even if I hadn't closed the program properly, I would have expected my changes up until that point to remain as they had been.

If I try and open the recipe now, it says it's open on another editor (I don't have Beersmith on any other device, though, nor do I have access to Beersmith Web), but I am able to copy the recipe out of the cloud onto my local storage, but it is the version with these deleted notes/readings/measured volumes.

Even stranger, the actual recipe list has altered! The yeast is gone from the recipe entirely, and the hop amounts and schedule have been changed to figures I'd never have manually entered, because I always at least do rounded numbers when adding hops. I find this to be completely confusing.

Firstly and most importantly, is there any way to restore my recipe to what it was, or is it gone for good? I have been using the notes section for logging a lot of important stuff about the brew, and it'd be terrible to just have all that lost. But if it is gone, is there any reason why this would have happened and what I should do in the future to prevent it? I think to start with I might move off of the cloud storage, because I suspect that could be what has gone wrong.

Edit: For extra information, when I opened Beersmith and went to go to the recipe in the cloud folder, it actually disappeared for a second or two and then reappeared, and that's when it was the altered recipe without my notes/readings/etc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how that could happen in the cloud. Since you worked from the desktop can you go back to the Recipe->Recipe Archive and check there to see if there is a copy of it with the data?

Brad

Yes! I didn't know that was there, so that is a lifesaver. Thanks, Brad.

Just for reference, I will show you the changes that occurred specifically to the ingredient list. The other changes that occurred were the readings and notes being totally cleared.

Before (10.47 am):
Beersmith - Before.png

After (11.30 am):
Beersmith - After.png

As you can see, the yeast an whirlfloc are gone and the hops have completely changed in a very confusing way. As far as I can tell, this was random, since I only use Beersmith on the one device. Like I mentioned, I saw the cloud copy disappear for a second or two then reappear in the folder, and the changes were then in the reappeared version.

Last edited:
Back