• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OG changes unhappy with the new version


New Forum Member
Dec 8, 2013
Reaction score
I upgraded my beer smith yesterday.  I noticed the OGs of my extract beers have changed, I figured out it was due trub loss now affecting the OG but here's the thing I top off in the kettle to the batch size and take a reading before any losses occur, this make much more sense than adjusting gravity to losses that vary batch to batch, ex IIPA with a pound of hops vs a Mild ale. Of coarse replacing a portion of wort with water would lower the OG. .  My hydrometer readings matched the old numbers not the new ones. I did try setting the trub loss to zero which returned the OGs to where they were but then noticed that changed the SRM. If I have a solution of sugars,  say 5 gallons of 1.050 wort what matters is that ingredients yielded a solution of 1.050 wort not that I may end up with 4.87 gallons of 1.050 wort in the fermenter.