• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Reservation of ingredients in inventory

lelo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I often make several recipes at a time prior to their production, but I do not have an overall view of the total amount of ingredients I will need to use and whether I will have enough at the time of production. The problem is that I cannot reserve ingredients in the inventory so that I know if I should plan to buy them.
Do you already have plans for such a function?

In order to reach free shipping thresholds, I usually plan groups of 3 or 4 brews and order the needed ingredients shortly before I plan to brew the first one. I created a folder titled "on deck" and either create or copy the planned recipes into it. That done, I click on a recipe to highlight it and then click on the shopping cart icon ("add item"). and repeat for each recipe in the group. Next, click on "shopping" in the upper ribbon to view the cart contents. The view will list the amount of each ingredient you've added, the amount already in inventory and the amount you need to order. Once I receive the order, I add the ingredients into inventory and then empty the shopping cart.

Beginning with an accurate inventory, following the above procedure and using the "remove from inventory" button for each recipe as you brew it is a good way to keep track of your inventory.

When I am planning on a series of recipes, I will set them up in BeerSmith and then add them to the shopping cart (starting with it empty.) I can then save the shopping cart as a .csv file and open it in excel or another spreadsheet. Then I check my inventory against the estimated usage to see if I need to buy more of anything on the list.

I also keep ample inventory of ingredients on hand just in case I get the urge to brew something. Saves needing to make an emergency run to the LHBS.

Back