• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling Recipes

danielfoleary

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am new to BeerSmith and need some help. I entered a recipe from a kit designed for a 70% efficiency standard 5 gal set up. I scaled up to 6 gal and changed the system to my Spike Trio 10 gallon system. BeerSmith changed all the quantities for me. Why did my hop additions go down in quantity when the batch size went up a gal?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BOB357

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
The scaling tool works great with recipes designed in BeerSmith. Accurate scaling is dependent on information from the equipment profile used in the original recipe and your equipment profile. Unfortunately, the instructions for kits, and many recipes you find, are lacking most of the information needed for scaling, so the tool can only work with what little information you've entered from the kit instructions. Best bet is to forget using the tool unless you're scaling a BeerSmith recipe.

Sweet_Agony

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I a similar question, how can I tell if the recipe was built in BS? I don't see an extension or other indicator of a file type.

Thanks
( Yes, I'm new to BeerSmith )

BOB357

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
If the recipe file opens in BeerSmith, it's a BeerSmith recipe. An example would be a recipe you find using BeerSmith's cloud search.