• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Question

weremichael

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings,

I just switched over to BeerSmith as my homebrew app. and I have a question about the Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Profile. I brew with a ten gallon round cooler with a copper manifold that acts as my mash/lauter tun. My brew pot is a ten gallon stainless pot.

The way that the profile is set up is 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain and it calculates proper temperature for the mash. I am using the default settings which are "Batch Sparge using batches that fill 90% of the mash tun volume" and "Sparge using equal size batches." The Sparge Water Temp is set to 168 F.

On an IPA that I brew using 13.35 lbs of grain it tells me to add 16.69 qts  of water and mash for an hour. Then it tells me to Sparge with 1.43 gal of 168 F water. Am I supposed to add the 1.43 gal of water to the mash and then sparge?? I also don't see a way to have BeerSmith calculate the correct temperature of the sparge water to take the mash from 154 to 168. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

The second Sparge Round is 4 gallons of 168 F water. That part makes sense.

Thanks for helping me out,

Michael

Hi Michael. I had similar thought when I started brewing. If you add the 168 water before the sparge begins the temp wont come up to the 168. So what I did was copy the Single Infusion Mash Profiles. Then I edited them with the following. I lowered the water to grain ratio to 1.00 qt/lb on the mash in. Then added a Mash Out with a water to grain ratio of 1.60 qt/lb at 168 to the profile. The Mash Out will bring the grist up to temp and then which should raise your efficiency a few ticks. Then vorlaugh and start your sparge. I have attached my mash profiles for your review/use.

Cheers

Preston

Attachments

• mash.bsm
    4.7 KB · Views: 582
Thanks Preston!

This really helped me out as well, but had a question for you:  how did you edit the 1.00 qt/lb & 1.60 qt/lb settings in your profile - I can't seem to find it in the software?

regards,
J

victordelnegro said:
This really helped me out as well, but had a question for you:  how did you edit the 1.00 qt/lb & 1.60 qt/lb settings in your profile - I can't seem to find it in the software?
You can edit the water to grain ratio by going to the mash profile screen. Then in the Mash Steps window, double click the mash step you want to modify and change the Water/Grain Ratio.
Clear as mud right?
Cheers
Preston

+1 on the mashing profile.

Preston, your mashing profile really helped!

Thanks!

Back