• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

spices

adama

Apprentice
Reaction score
hello,

So I'm brewing my first batch of beer (long overdue) and I was so glad to come across this forum with so many knowledgeable people willing to help the new guys such as myself. The beer I'm planning is a Christmas ale and I was wondering about the amount of spices to be added and when.
(cinnamon clove and clementine peel) any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Taylor.

Whatever recipe you use, you should have a amount. What I would suggest would be to keep track of the amount so that you can adjust it next time. I just brewed a pumpkin ale and I tried it for the first time yesterday. I think it needs a little more spice for next year but... I know I "tweaked it" from the recipe and I can't remember what I did? Did I add a little bit more than the recipe or a little less? Good luck. Trust the recipe and brew it the way it is written. If you tweak it, write it!

For clove, I recommend 1tsp at 45 minutes (times are all left in the boil)
Cinnamon, 4 - 6 sticks at 45 minutes or about .5 tsp in the last 5 minutes.
Orange peel, I recommend the thinnest zest of just the outer colored peel and none of the white, bitter parts.  up to 2 oz is nice.  I would add this in the last 5 minutes.

A neutral yeast is a good idea.  you don't want the yeast overwhelming the spices.  Maybe a white labs wpl060 or wpl028 or wpl001.  I really like the 028.  I plan to use it on my upcoming spiced wheat.

thanks for the advice guys .I'm planning on brewing this beer twice as I'm sure I'll need to tweak it quite a bit seeing as its my first attempt at this. this gives me a good place to start. I"m glad you mentioned leaving the white pith of the orange peel out of the recipe, i probably would have just thrown the whole peel in. also I'm hesitant about adding cloves at all because i've heard it can impart a real medicinal flavor which i would like to avoid. thinking instead on adding a bit of fresh ginger which would go nicely with the orange flavor.

Brewing Classic Styles page 271-272 has Jamil's Christmas/Winter spice beer.

He uses
1/2 tsp powered cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice

all at 1 minute

Back