• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stir plate

Anarchy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello. I just bought my first stir plate. Also got dme a yeast nutrient  .
I followed the directions,but I don't know how long I can leave it on the plate.
I started it Tuesday. Brew day is Sunday. How long can it stay on the plate ?
And how high should the speed be . It's a stone clone, I have high hopes
And I'd rather now mess it up because of the yeast  .
Thank you to anyone who reply's!

I'll normally run the stir plate at a speed that allows a small funnel (vortex) to form in the middle, then back it off just a hair until that vortex is just a low spot (1/2 an inch to 1 inch deep) in the center but not quite a full vortex.

It really only takes 24 to 36 hours to fully ferment out, but I'll typically let it spin for a couple of days, then crash it in the fridge for another day or two - depending on how far away brew day is - and decant the spent wort off the yeast cake come brew day, leaving just a little wort on the cake - let it come up to pitching temp, then pitch.

I'm simplifying quite a bit here, and making some assumptions that, if you're making starters, you have a fairly advanced knowledge of brewing already.

Thank you for the reply. I also have another question.
I have it in the basement. The wife got me in to home
Brewing but doesn't want any of it upstairs. We're trying to sell the house.
And sunlight does hit it. Will that be a problem. And should I buy more yeast to make sure
Everything is okay, I'd rather spend 7 dollars. Then
Spend the time just to mess it up ? The grain is around 19 pounds.
One last question. Is it ok to put the website on this website?
I'm not the owner, but the place is pretty cheap and
And very knowledgeable. I don't want to break any rules.

About the website.  You can review the product and put the website in your review in the (you guessed it) "Reviews" section of the forum.

I don't think sunlight is a problem for a starter.  The issue with sunlight is the V reacting with hops in wort to create skunking - I don't imagine you have any hops in your starter.

That is my take on it anyway!

Brian

Back