• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

swing top bottles

Johnnyv42

Brewer
Reaction score
I got a case of free swing top bottles (Grolsch type) at the local home brew club. I love the bottles, but my affection for them is waning. I put my most recent beer in some of them and many of the beers are flat while others are fully carbonated. There's a mold release seam on the stopper of several of the bottles and I'm suspecting that this seam is preventing the necessary air tight seal. I've sanded that seam smooth on the remaining bottles I have. Does anyone know if I've got the culprit or are there other potential problems? (btw...the cage itself looks pretty good, not bent). Thanks.

Sometimes the cages get lose. The gaskets wear out (you can buy replacements, they're said to be able to get about 5 uses). If the gasket is not centered when it's closed it can fail to get a good seal.

Back