• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wyeast 1056 Viability error

McGruber

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm building an IPA recipe, and am using Wyeast 1056 and 1968 (London ESB).  I noticed under STARTER within the recipe where both yeasts are listed it shows "Viability" as 5% and "Viable Cells" as 5.00 billion cells for the American Ale.  The London ESB has 96% viability and 96.00 billion cells.  When I use the Yeast tool (either by using the drop down menu, or double clicking the yeast), I am unable to change the viability of the yeast, as it is greyed out/ locked.  I know that I'm going to get a lot more than 5% of live yeast out of the smack pack  ::).  Is this a programming error, or is there some other way to change the viability?

The viability is related to the yeast package date. Update the date in BeerSmith to the actual package date and the viability will be corrected.

Back