• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Homebrewing at high temperatures?!

lappe001

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Dear experts,

I live in south Texas where the temperatures are really high, even inside the house. I want to start brewing at my house but the yeasts normally work at lower temperatures than the mid temperature inside my house. Do you know how could I easily/cheaply correct this? I have been looking for a kind of S.Cerevisiae that works at higher temperatures but until now, I haven´t received any answer. I'm looking for yeasts such as Whitelabs WLP320 American Hefeweizen, Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast or Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Yeast to brew German Doppel Bock  of German Hefeweizen that would do the trick for me.

Do you have any tip?! Please help!
Regards.
Fernando Lappe

The cheapest approach that I know of is to put your carboy into a keg bucket, drape some towels around the top and direct a fan at the carboy.  The towels should be partially int the water to create a wicking effect.  This swamp cooler approach will keep the temp down.  You can also add ice or frozen soda bottles to the water to keep the temp down even lower.  Good luck.

Another option as you move forward, is to invest in a fermentation chamber.  They're not that expensive, if you pay close attention to deals on small refrigerators.  You'd need one large enough for fermentor with airlock.  Build a chamber onto it for a second fermentor and reinstall the door onto the build on part.  Add a temperature controller and you now have a two fermentor fermentation chamber.  $150 should be enough.  It isn't as cheap as the previous suggestion, so it's a down the road option.  I'm planning to build one soon, so that I can do lagers year round.  You can google "fermentation chamber" to find build instructions from other creative homebrewers.

Back