• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello All!

D

daveporter

Hi and thanks for allowing me to join the forum.

I am a new and inexperienced home brewer. I received a Mr. Beer brewing kit as a Christmas gift from a friend and have made one successful batch to date. I have started my second.

Once I got started I became quite interested in brewing and started reading reference information here on the net and watching a number of great podcasts on the hobby. I now realize that the Mr. Beer kit is a fine introduction to the craft, however, using traditional methods can potentially be much more rewarding given the limitless options available.

I have just ordered "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and the Homebrewers Companion by Charlie Papazian and plan to begin making the move to traditional brewing methods as soon as possible.

Again, thanks for allowing me to become part of the forum community!

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome, the bug has bitten and you will soon become fixated on your new hobby, both those books by Charlie papazian are a good read and are what I cut my teeth on in the begining.
Another good reference book for the beginer is "How to Brew" by John Palmer.

And of course this forum is always available to answer any questions you have as well.

Cheers
Andrew

Dave,

Welcome.  You can read the John Palmer book in its entirety here:

http://howtobrew.com/

I would also recommend Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers. 

- GL63

Dave,
  Welcome!  We are glad to have you on board! 

Another resource several of us have been working on is our BrewWiki at http://brewwiki.com - it has a growing set of articles, and a very nice set of online references including podcasts, web sites, shops and clubs.

Cheers!
Brad

Welcome aboard.  I too started with Mr. Beer.  As you said it is a great start.  You can still use the keg as a fermenter if you wish to brew "small batches" but take a 5 gallon recipe and split it in half.  As you read Charlie's book you will note that an average recipe requires 6-7 pounds of LME,  Mr. Beer has you brewing many of these same beers with 1.21 pounds vs the 3-3.5 pounds (scaled down to Mr. Beer) that is the average.  Also of note is that the Mr. Beer materials are twice as expensive as what you can buy elsewhere. 

look for recipes that use some grain and hops, not dificult at all, and you will find that your beers are greatly improved.

Fred

Back