• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing with Agave Nectar

marshall13

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All!

I am thinking about brewing in the near future using Agave Nectar [dark] and was wondering if anyone has tried this with success. I see quite a few blogs about using Agave Nectar for Mead but not beer. I would appreciate all the pluses and minuses of brewing with Agave.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers,
Rob

Fermenting: Shut the F#@k up Ale
Drinking: Galaxy Pond and SMaSH with Amarillo Hops

You'd use it like Honey. At 5 to 15%, it lightens body and adds alcohol. But, it has a pretty light flavor, most of the time.

I'm familiar with golden to deep amber Agave nectars, but not "dark." If that's a term for a deep amber, then you're probably cool. Super light colored versions can have added sugars (though fructose is the main one from the plant).

I think it's an ingredient that needs a counterpoint flavor to bring it out. The best Agave beers I've tasted back it up with a little toasted malt, like honey malt, Maris Otter, Amber Malt and even Victory. One other had added depth from Oak chips.

Thanks! I am going to experiment the first time with DME. Was going to use pale but I think I will try it with an amber. Will steep Crystal Malt -80L and use Amarillo and Cascade hops. I will add the Agave to the boil in the last 5 minutes.

I am anxious to see how this turns out.

Cheers,
Rob

marshall13 said:
Thanks! I am going to experiment the first time with DME. Was going to use pale but I think I will try it with an amber. Will steep Crystal Malt -80L and use Amarillo and Cascade hops. I will add the Agave to the boil in the last 5 minutes.

I am anxious to see how this turns out.

Cheers,
Rob

do you mean pale DME or agave? just checking because it's always a good idea to use the lightest colored DME available and ge tyour color and flavor from character malts. darker extracts tend to be a lot less fermentable.

lI've made an all agave nectar beer with cascade hops and dry wheat beer yeast a couple times in the past and they always come really refreshing and light, which is great for a summer beer.
They do however take longer to ferment but the wait is worth it.

Back