• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

More frequent, smaller batches

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone considered or actually tried brewing more frequently with smaller batches so you can experiment more?  I'd like to tweak my recipies to make them better, but 5 gallons of beer is a lot to drink.  My waistline is starting to show.

What are your thoughts on this idea?  Any pros or cons?

It is easy to make 6 gallons of wort and divide it into 2, 3gallon fermenters to try different yeast and/or fermentation conditions. However, I found making small 2-3 gallon brews requires such small amounts of those special malt or hops, there is too much room for error. For example, if you are using say a few ounces of a specialty malt in a 5 gallon batch it gets a little tough to measure 1 or 2 ounces in a 2 1/2 gallon batch and repeat the recipe. Hops are even more difficult. Also, my equipment is sized for  5-6 gallons and 2-3 gallons is just a bit too small.

I agree it would be nice to make smaller batches to do more "experiments", but I have not come up with a good way to do this with repeatability.. If you do, let me know.

Dr Malt

Back