• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Temp question...

depper

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed my first batch ever last night.  It was an extract and I brought the wort down to 70 degrees before dumping it in the additional 2.5 gallons of distilled water in my primary.  I added the yeast, shook it around for about 5 minutes then stored in my basement with a constant ambient temp of 66-67 degrees F.  My kit didn't come with a thermometer to stick on the side of my fermenter so I don't know what the current fermenting temp inside my primary is so my question....

Should I be concerned about my fermenting temp going over 70 degrees F while being stored in a constant 66-67 degrees F basement? 

If so, would allowing it to ferment at a temp around or above 70 degrees for less than 24 hours cause it to give the banana taste?

I am planning on putting it into a water-bath with a towel once I get home from work, but that won't be for a bit.  So the total time in the fermentation process would be about 19-20 hours before I can accomplish this task. 

Or, should I just purchase a stick on thermometer and see where the reading is before doing a water-bath?

Thanks for all the help.  Being new to this hobby I'm trying hard not to screw it up :)

Tim

with room temp @ 67 or so the yeast will heat the beer up past 70(add 5 to 8 degrees for yeast)  and I think the stick on thermometers are good but you should initially check there accuracy with a reliable internal thermometer to be sure of the temp. As for the timing of the water bath I'm not sure but I know that in the past I have had to use them to cool down a fermenter after it was warm for a day and ended up with good beer. other times not so good beer. the fact that you started with a lower then 70 temp wert when you pitched is good and myself I would not worry to much. Just do not cool it down to fast, this may stress the yeast or worst stall them. So what yeast did you use and what's the beer kit? Some yeast are happy at higher temps in the 70s
PS keep good records of how and what you do with your brews so in the future you can learn and tweak your beers. I never kept good records at first and made many mistakes more then once.   

all grain,

Thanks for the advice and some assurance :)  The Kit is from Brewer's Best, Belgian Golden Ale.  The yeast was belgian saison yeast.  I will probably get a stick on thermometer and do a test with my Thermapen to see the accuracy, if nothing else, for future batches.  I did have my daughter check the ambient temp today and she said it was 65, so maybe I'll just throw a fan on it and be done.  Thanks again for your time and help!  Cheers...

Tim

from what I know about that kit you should be ok with your temps, that beer will be good at your temps IMO.

That makes me feel better! I'm just gonna ride it out for two weeks then bolts her up! This hobby is as addictive as smoking BBQ!

You will be fine.  8)
I have run ales at 71F and have had no issues to speak of.

I know we can get really hung up on some magic temp  +- .5 degrees and so on.
But really that is not an big issue until you are trying be consistent and fine tune your brewing.
Also read the information on your yeast, it is what you need to make happy.
Some yeast is fine at different ranges etc...

Happy Yeast = Happy Beer ;)

Welcome to Brewing!

- Keep it clean. (A must)
- Keep it dark. (Except to peek ;)
- Take notes. (More important than you think)

and brew on...

Rage

I don't even use a thermometer for ales. I ferment in the basement and it stays about the same temp as yours. In the winter it can get a bit cool so, in rare cases I will put an electric heater near it but in the summer, with the AC on, it is fine. If you live in a hot climate and don't run AC it could get a bit warm but I wouldn't worry.

Back