• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water absorption by grain

N

nkiner

Is there a way to tweek the grain water absorption constant?  What value does beersmith presently use for this?

Thanks,

Nate

Nate,
  Not sure if you are looking for this, but in the advanced tab on the options dialog there is an option for adjusting the amount of volume 1Kg of grain occupies (currently .652 l/kg).

Brad

Well, I guess the two factors may be related, as I don't necessarily understand how you do your calculations.

What I'm after is this:  If you mash in with a certain amount of water, and then drain your tun in preparation for batch sparging, the volume of wort that comes out isn't equal to the water that went in.  Some of it remains absorbed in the grain.  I've seen numbers like 10lbs of grain absorb 1 gallon, 8lbs absorb 1 gallon, etc.  Beersmith obviously accounts for this in some manner.  I'm just wondering if you use some tweakable constant for this, or if its more complex than that.

Thanks,

Nate

Nate,
  OK - I found what you want (it shows up best in the water needed view):  1 lb of grain absorbs approx 0.12 gal of water, so 10 lb is 1.2 gal of water, etc...  Unfortunately this parameter is currently not adjustable.  I'll certainly look at making it so in the future.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks for the info.  BTW, I've been a user for over a year and love the program.  Keep up the good work.  :)

I'm going to bring this topic back from the dead as I'm really hoping water absorbed by the grains can be a tweakable feature soon.  The default of .12 gal per lb isn't what I get with my setup and its the only thing restricting Beer Smith's water usage calculations from being dead on with what I need.

Any chance its coming soon?

Cheers!

Ditto for me too.

Flaked Wheat and Flaked Oats seem to absorb a heck of a lot more than grain (I searched the internet for a absorption G/lb to no avail).

I'll add it in the next version.

Cheers,
Brad

Its been a while since this topic was brought up and I was wondering if this wver happened?

I too would like to know if this is something that will be added! Beersmith works great, but I always have to add additional strike and sparge water to reach my desired volume. I think the grain is soaking up more water than beersmith is accounting for!

thanks

I'd like to throw my hand up here. My calculated grain absorbtion is slightly higher than the .12 used here. I would like to be able to tweak it.

Tweaking will be included in the next version (2.0) under advanced options.  I've added it...

Brad

Back