• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Maelstrom stir plate

I built one using an old cigar box, fans, and a couple magnets out of an old hard drive for under 20 bucks.

I made one myself, also. I popped for a waterproof plastic box in case a big starter foamed over. I had most of the other parts, so it's hard to estimate the cost, but probably no more than $30 and it does a great job.

--GF

Greetings All - I have a maelstrom stir plate and I love it.  However, my first one started giving me a problem while stirring my 5,000 mL flask; it only pulsed and never spun the stir bar.  So I contacted the vendor, Midwest Supplies, and they sent me a new one even though the warranty expired.

Regarding the cheaper stir plates, I had one before I bought my maelstrom.  I don?t recall the brand, but I believe I paid about $60 for it.  It lasted about 18 months and all the while I struggled getting the stir bar to sit properly over the magnet inside the plate.  The magnet kept throwing the stir bar off to the side.  Was a real pain in the.....  The maelstrom literally sucks the stir bar into exact position and away we go.  Yes, it was a little pricy.  But worth every penny and Midwest Supplies really took care of me with my purchase.

As I progressed in the hobby I often built my initial gear. I did so with my first stir plate. It worked but always needed attention.

When the funds became available I pulled the trigger. Best purchase in a long time.

I used a stir plate for about a year before I discovered the "Shaken Not Stirred" yeast starter method. My stir plat has been gathering dust ever since.

Kevin58 said:
I used a stir plate for about a year before I discovered the "Shaken Not Stirred" yeast starter method. My stir plat has been gathering dust ever since.

Yup...different strategies, methods and enjoyment for different brewers. I enjoyed reading your comment....then the quote from Denny in your sig file. Both consistent with one another.

This is a very nice stir plate. Easily handles everything I've "thrown at it".

Back