• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Any hope of Parti-Gyle batches?

C

Chad Ward

Thanks for such a great program. I'm enjoying it very much. Is there any thought of allowing parti-gyle batches? For my next couple of beers I'm going to revive the old technique of using the first runnings to make a big beer for long aging and a smaller beer from the 2nd/3rd runnings. Based on previous experience, my back-of-the-napkin calculations show that for 22lbs of grain I should get about 4 to 4.5 gallons of 1.078 wort and about 7 gallons of 1.028 (or so) wort, but I can't figure out how to make the recipes work in Beersmith.

Is there a way to do this currently, and if not, would you consider adding a parti-gyle batch function?

If that's not easily achieved, can you add Wort as an ingredient? If I know I'm starting off with a given amount of wort at a given gravity, being able to plug it in as an ingredient would be very handy.

Thanks,
Chad

Chad,
  No there is no current feature that automatically lets you brew party gyle batches.  One could always enter it as two separate recipes, however.  The latter recipe would simply use a much lower brewhouse efficiency, but that number should be relatively stable from batch to batch.

You probably could enter wort as an ingredient - simply enter it as an extract with the appropriate potential and weight (I think that works).  Also the dilution tool lets you mix worts of different SGs.

Brad

BUMP

Hey Brad,

Please consider making a parti-gyle tool for BeerSmith and including "parti-gyle" mash schedules.  It would be really nice to have some kind of recipe wizard that will walk you through creating a set of recipes for this purpose.

Currently, I am creating 3 separate entries for my (first ever) parti-gyle batch.  The first recipe will be the master batch and I will not add hops or yeast to this...it's simply a way to calculate the grain bill and estimate my desired combined OG.  Then I copy that recipe two times and use each copy to make the strong beer and small beer recipes and add the appropriate hops, yeast, or other adjuncts to each recipe.  As you suggested I also tweak my efficiency and use about a 60% efficency on my first (strong) batch and about 40% on the second (small) batch. 

I use this article here and the formulas and charts provided http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html for estimating my SG and other attributes, but if all this can be brought into one place and made easy enough for a non math whiz like me that would be awesome!!

I would be happy to help you test and troubleshoot any features or bugs on future versions.  I have a background in IT and hardware / software / device driver support.

Back